Spanish F-18 Hornet Fighter Jet Crash - Pilot Ejected Safely - Story n' Vid (2023) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Fighter Jet Crashes in Spain

"An F-18 fighter jet crashed at an airbase in the Spanish city of Zaragoza but the pilot ejected successfully, the Spanish defense ministry said Saturday. The aircraft landed within the perimeter of the base, the defense ministry said on Twitter. The base, which is about 10 miles (16 kilometers) outside the city, belongs to the Spanish Air and Space Force.

The air force said several hours after the crash that the pilot was “recovering favorably” but would remain in the hospital under observation for “a few days.” Spain’s public news agency EFE said the F-18 was training for a flying exhibition when the crash occurred. The Guardia Civil told The Associated Press that one of its patrols was the first to reach the pilot, who fell outside the exterior fence surrounding the airbase. According to the Guardia Civil, the pilot suffered injuries to his legs, apparently because he ejected with a parachute from a low altitude. He was evacuated to hospital in a helicopter.

The Guardia Civil said it would collaborate with the military in investigating the crash. It said that the initial information provided by the pilot was that the plane had apparently suffered a malfunction.

The American-made F-18 Hornet has formed a part of the air defenses of the United States since the 1980s and has been purchased by the air forces of several allied countries. Spain’s air force acquired its first 72 models of F-18 manufactured by McDonnell Douglas in 1983. The fighters, known for their versatility, entered service three years later. Spain's air force later purchased an unspecified number of additional F-18s.

The Zaragoza base is home to a unit of Spain’s F-18s."

Source

Vid (2 views):

McM

ARSELING
F-18s should have a zero-zero ejection seat, means you can eject at 0 altitude and 0 speed. Like standing on the runway and a severe malfunction/fire occurs. Or any other position.
But it's still a violent process and there could be other things that go wrong. Maybe he landed in a fence or tree.

Last edited:

se7en.is.back

Pagan historian
F-18s should have a zero-zero ejection seat, means you can eject at 0 altitude and 0 speed. Like standing on the runway and a severe malfunction/fire occurs. Or any other position.
But it's still a violent process and there could be other things that go wrong. Maybe he landed in a fence or tree.
Thanks Xtra info

I could only imagine what kind of adrenaline rush you would get ejecting from a crashing fighter jet. And then watching the explosion beneath you if you're even still conscious... Does anyone know if the g-force knocks you out???

Do you know if the pilot get knocked out from the g-force during ejection ?

McM

ARSELING
Thanks Xtra info

I could only imagine what kind of adrenaline rush you would get ejecting from a crashing fighter jet. And then watching the explosion beneath you if you're even still conscious... Does anyone know if the g-force knocks you out???

Do you know if the pilot get knocked out from the g-force during ejection ?

Over 10 Gs.
As I said, it's a violent process. This leads often to a stay in the hospital.
I find the Russian system for the Ka-50 helicopter interesting; they don't have an ejection seat but the pilot got dragged through an opening in the roof by a kind of rocket/parachute device. The two rotors got blasted away before.
Don't know exactly how 'healthy' this procedure is for the pilot but still better than crash and burn I think.

se7en.is.back

Pagan historian
Over 10 Gs.
As I said, it's a violent process. This leads often to a stay in the hospital.
I find the Russian system for the Ka-50 helicopter interesting; they don't have an ejection seat but the pilot got dragged through an opening in the roof by a kind of rocket/parachute device. The two rotors got blasted away before.
Don't know exactly how 'healthy' this procedure is for the pilot but still better than crash and burn I think.
Right on thank you so much for that info! I don't know that much about air force but they are definitely extremely interesting. Only experience I have is fastroping from a helicopter. Are you ex-military or just a self-taught enthusiast?

McM

ARSELING
Right on thank you so much for that info! I don't know that much about air force but they are definitely extremely interesting. Only experience I have is fastroping from a helicopter. Are you ex-military or just a self-taught enthusiast?
The latter. I am just doing a bit of research for playing flight sims properly and reading some background info.

Back