USMC Gunnery Sargeant Carlos Hathcock "White Feather" The best sniper of all time. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rastis Jones Jr.

Exhaustipated
http://www.cybersniper.com/carlos.htm
1133204291_334274af7c.jpg

Nothing deadlier than a Marine and his rifle

Rosie

Oh dear.
Super Moderator
Perhaps it's lost in translation, but I'd be offended if someone called me "A white feather".

Reactions: McM

SAF

Imperator
Administrator
Perhaps it's lost in translation, but I'd be offended if someone called me "A white feather".
It's a term the VC started using because he had a habit of keeping a white feather in his hat. My wife bought me his bio a few years back. Excellent read.

s brent

This user was banned
There are great snipers and then there is Simo Hayha.
you mean like celebrities..... as a pic to be carried about by every fag soldier.... or maybe as the focus for some serious govn. propaganda? i would say 'only in the usa' but in this case i'd be wrong.

Yabaw

Banned
Doesn't even have the longest range kill anymore, thats a british sniper, and it was a double kill too.

Rastis Jones Jr.

Exhaustipated
Doesn't even have the longest range kill anymore, thats a british sniper, and it was a double kill too.
The Gunny was doing his magic in the 60's with an off the shelf .308 rifle that he worked on himself. And check out the scope. In the States we can drop to the local Walmart and buy optics for a rifle for about $30.00 US and it makes what he used look like the stoneage. The weapons being used today are all custom fitted to the shooter, ammo to. The Brits, Canadians and the US put out the finest snipers in the world. But my friend, the Gunny was one in a million.

Kollu

NewbieX
"The best Sniper of all time, even better than WWII heroes Koenig & Zaitsev"

First of all, 93 kills? Really?? And they call him "The best sniper in the World".
Anyone heard of one Simo Häyhä? With 542 confirmed kills in less than a hundred days, he swept the floors with Koenig, Zaitsev and Hathcock. He even managed to snipe 25 Russians in just one day.
Besides, Häyhä fought in the Winter war at extremely cold temperatures and invented new ways to fight in winter, such as icing the snow, holding snow in his mouth so that there was no steam as he breathed. He didn't use a scope of any kind but plain iron sights, and was feared among the Russian soldiers so much they sent counter snipers to hunt down Häyhä - with poor results. His longest recorded kill was from 450 meters, which is damn far away when using iron sights.

Häyhä got shot with an exploding bullet in the buttstock of his rifle, wounding him severely. His face was deformed, but he survived and died at the age of 95.

Rastis Jones Jr.

Exhaustipated
"The best Sniper of all time, even better than WWII heroes Koenig & Zaitsev"

First of all, 93 kills? Really?? And they call him "The best sniper in the World".
Anyone heard of one Simo Häyhä? With 542 confirmed kills in less than a hundred days, he swept the floors with Koenig, Zaitsev and Hathcock. He even managed to snipe 25 Russians in just one day.
Besides, Häyhä fought in the Winter war at extremely cold temperatures and invented new ways to fight in winter, such as icing the snow, holding snow in his mouth so that there was no steam as he breathed. He didn't use a scope of any kind but plain iron sights, and was feared among the Russian soldiers so much they sent counter snipers to hunt down Häyhä - with poor results. His longest recorded kill was from 450 meters, which is damn far away when using iron sights.

Häyhä got shot with an exploding bullet in the buttstock of his rifle, wounding him severely. His face was deformed, but he survived and died at the age of 95.
Sounds like an amazing man. Kudos to the Finns.

I

Irishbobby

Internet Warrior
I don't think you can really compare the the two, different envirornments different era. I was an army sniper (got out in 04) and worked with shooters from various country's and while every body thinks their country has the best marksman Carlos is widely recognized as one of the best. Simply having a high kill number isn't everything, Carlos was a stalking machine and literally wrote the book on stalking and counter sniping procedures for the marine corp, procedures he perfected in Nam and are still taught today. He also fastened his rifles scope to a browning 50 cal (ma deuce) zeroed it and hit a guy at 2500 yards.

Kollu

NewbieX
Häyhä's methods in staying undetected were also kinda ahead their time. He spread water on the snow so that it froze and didn't create a cloud of powder snow to rise up when the rifle was shot. I think one thing also raises the threat factor of Häyhä among the Ruskies. They actually ordered an artillery barrage on Häyhä's assumed position, which obviously was wrong. But for more specific info there's always Wikipedia. :) I'm not trying to flame or anything, just brining up some facts considering the matter.
I have a huge respect to snipers, knowing how difficult it actually is to shoot from a long range being a hunter and a free-time shooter myself.

I

Irishbobby

Internet Warrior
I
Häyhä's methods in staying undetected were also kinda ahead their time. He spread water on the snow so that it froze and didn't create a cloud of powder snow to rise up when the rifle was shot. I think one thing also raises the threat factor of Häyhä among the Ruskies. They actually ordered an artillery barrage on Häyhä's assumed position, which obviously was wrong. But for more specific info there's always Wikipedia. :) I'm not trying to flame or anything, just brining up some facts considering the matter.
I have a huge respect to snipers, knowing how difficult it actually is to shoot from a long range being a hunter and a free-time shooter myself.
I also read he sucked on snow and ice to prevent his breath from being spotted on exhale, genius, no doubt they were both great operators. :)

I

Irishbobby

Internet Warrior
Hathcock deserves kudos, period.

Seen a sniper try to recreate a shot he made.....caught a glimmer from his opponents scope, boom....clean through the scope, cranial evacuation.

Hats off indeed, right?
Yeah bro 1 in a million shot, Carlos was humble as well, he stated in his book that the other sniper had the jump on him, and was able to get within range of a shot without Carlos knowing. Hathcock was simply quicker on the trigger and split his shit. Not to ramble on but Carlos also told a story that while hunting another sniper he made himself visible intentionally so the other sniper would fire at him and hathcock was able to judge the distance away the other guy was. Other sniper got off 3 rounds and missed before Carlos dumped him... Fucking insane!

Back