Australian woman jailed in Abu Dhabi over Facebook post (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.O.A.

We are Kings
THE Australian woman jailed in Abu Dhabi after being found guilty of “writing bad words on social media” should be deported soon, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says.

In February, Jodi Magi, 39, posted a picture on Facebook shaming a driver who had parked across two disabled parking spaces in her apartment block.

The post included no identifying details or names, but despite this attracted a police complaint leading to the West Australian woman having to appear in court last month.
Ms Magi says she was found guilty of “writing bad words on social media”, charged under the UAE Cyber Crime Law. She was issued with a fine amounting to approximately $3,600, and told she would be deported.

But yesterday, when she went to pay the fine, Ms Magi said she was arrested and incarcerated. “No one’s talking to me, no one’s telling me what’s going on,” she told ABC from the back of a police vehicle. “I’m pretty scared.”
Ms Bishop told reporters this afternoon that Ms Magi was expected to be deported from the UAE in “a very short time”.

They're still deciding if they should rape her before they cancel her visa or cancel her visa and then rape her

R

Ripp3r

Internet Warrior
rape her before she gets deported with a trusty hunting knife or something lol once shes back home have some of her "homies" so to speak gang bang on/off for a day or so...no rush. than jail the worthless cunt...have the guards or whomever rape her a few times a day and hopefully she gets sick of it kills herself

SimmonS

SS Teutonic knights templar
Jail for writing bad words on social media? Then many of us would be rotting in hell, lucky us.
Yeah I was going to say, what could some body possibly write about somebody parking across disabled parking spaces that would get them indicted in a foreign country months after the act? Am I missing something here?

Teddyray

I like chickens
This user was banned
There are an over abundance of handicap parking spaces. I park in one any time I can. As far as her plight...stay the fuck out of shithole mooslim countries with stupid laws.

SimmonS

SS Teutonic knights templar
Apparently it all happened in the UAE. Her apparent 'crime' that is. They have strict laws about what you can post online there. This article details the story a bit more thoroughly than the OP:

Wide-ranging crackdown

Human rights groups including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have condemned the lack of freedom of expression in the United Arab Emirates, a situation that is worsening thanks to a wide-ranging 2012 crackdown on 'cybercrime' affecting both expats and nationals.

"The image that people have of Dubai and Abu Dhabi is at odds with the reality, I think of the situation there. These are highly repressive, increasingly repressive, states," said Nicholas McGeehan, Human Rights Watch researcher on the UAE.

"Unfortunately they have reacted to the rise of social media and high penetration of smartphone use and internet use in the UAE by enacting even more repressive laws."

Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/world/austral...ebook-post-20150714-gibh4s.html#ixzz3gC9GThD5

Maven

Southern Charm
I'd never go to one of those screwed up countries.
Inorite? Who in their right minds would go to places like that? When you do that then you are just asking for trouble so they shouldn't be shocked when shit like that happens to them.

MissL

Lurker
For starters, I can't never understand why people who live in nice countries go to places like UAE. White people are targets in those countries.

kevin kirk

Forum Veteran
If this "im offended"shit don't stop snowballing across America.This is exactly the kind of thing that's going to happened in here instead of oversees.

Reactions: Nex
Back