BB King Dead (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
BB King Dead At 89

Blues legend B.B. King has died in Las Vegas aged 89, his lawyer confirmed on Thursday.

Attorney Brent Bryson said King died peacefully in his sleep at 9:40 p.m. PDT at his Clark County home in Las Vegas.

King, known as the 'King Of Blues', sold millions of records worldwide, won 15 Grammys and was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame in 1980 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

King was born Riley B. King in 1925 in Mississippi, Tennessee, where he was inspired to take up guitar by a pastor in his church.

The one-time farmhand brought new fans to the blues and influenced a generation of musicians with his heartfelt vocals and soaring guitar on songs such as The Thrill Is Gone.

King played a Gibson guitar (a 1963 Gibson ES-355 Electric Guitar) that he affectionately called Lucille and was recognized as a mentor to scores of guitarists including Eric Clapton.

A self-taught guitarist, King entered the industry as a disc jockey after serving in World War II and released his first single Three O'Clock Blues in 1949.

He was named BB from being nicknamed 'Beale Street Blues Boy' and called each of his guitars 'Lucille' after witnessing two men fight over a woman of the same name.

Guitarist BB was married twice - both of which ended by the mid-1960s - and succeeded 11 living children and 50 grandchildren.

Source

Images

blues-legend-bb-king-1.jpg

blues-legend-bb-king-2.jpg

blues-legend-bb-king-3.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
When I started playing electric guitar at about 11 or 12, I made up my own stuff - usually one note hum-dingers. My older brother was listening to bands like Zeppelin, BTO, Grand Funk Railroad, The Stones, etc. but I was too young to be into the band scene. Hell, I was still playing with GI Joes in my backyard.

By the time I was 14 or 15 I was playing a few Zeppelin tunes and got hooked on Jimmy Page. Learning what Page was playing took me to BB King and the whole world of blues opened up. Van Halen, KISS, Judas Priest, Molly Hatchet, Black Sabbath, etc. were awesome but it all came from the humble beginnings of blues.

I burned out several BB King albums learning his style of blues. I wanted to be able to play with feeling and soul instead of just shredding my way through. BB was one of the best to listen to and learn from; I`d learn to shred later.

RIP BB.

Back