First Human Case of H3N8 Bird Flu Detected in China (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

92.eth

CFO Slime Capital LLC - The Wolf of Gore Street
I'm no virologist but besides the supply chain disturbances this is definitely something to keep an eye on. This was said to be the virus of the 1889-1890 pandemic which killed 1 million. Some strains are insanely deadly (75%+) and if it jumps from person to person and back to bird…

April 26, 2022 | CNET

CNET said:
The first case of H3N8 avian influenza has been recorded in China, according to a report by Reuters on Tuesday.

China's National Health Commission released a statement on Tuesday confirming a 4-year-old boy was infected with the strain of bird flu. The boy, from the central Chinese province of Henan, was in close contact with chickens and wild ducks and came down with a fever on April 5. He was admitted to hospital on April 10.

The National Health Commission said it believes the virus doesn't yet have the ability to effectively infect humans.

H3N8 hasn't been detected in humans before, but the influenza strain does cause disease in birds, horses and dogs. Some studies have linked the 1889 Russian pandemic with the strain, but this has never been proven.

"These early infections should always be responded to thoroughly and comprehensively with sensitive testing of contacts to ensure no other spread occurred or is ongoing," said Ian Mackay, a virologist at the University of Queensland, Australia.

Mackay notes these jumps do occasionally happen and will continue to happen "while we live very close to virus hosts." The case seems to be isolated to the 4-year-old boy, with the National Health Commission stating close contacts were tested but none showed signs of infection.

The incidence of animal-to-human transmission (zoonosis) is predicted to increase as humans encroach further on natural habitats of disease-carrying species. Recent studies have suggested climate change will further increase the incidence of zoonosis.

49lq2y.png

Götterdämmerung

Well Known Member
Human-animal viral transfer happens all the time, doesn't keep me up at night. It's the H5N1 variety that is currently infecting domestic poultry in North America that is causing the big headache. Millions of chickens have been and will continue to be culled. Prices of eggs and poultry are expected to rise.

Sky

Forum Veteran
Human-animal viral transfer happens all the time, doesn't keep me up at night. It's the H5N1 variety that is currently infecting domestic poultry in North America that is causing the big headache. Millions of chickens have been and will continue to be culled. Prices of eggs and poultry are expected to rise.
Exact same situation in Europe, it almost seems like coincidence.

Racist Bastard

Forum Veteran
I'm no virologist but besides the supply chain disturbances this is definitely something to keep an eye on. This was said to be the virus of the 1889-1890 pandemic which killed 1 million. Some strains are insanely deadly (75%+) and if it jumps from person to person and back to bird…

April 26, 2022 | CNET

Don't dare call ot a Chinese virus that's racist

P5ykoOHD

Omelette du Fromage! (PS: DickButt)
Ok.
What we up for next month ? Rapture ?
For real, just let nature ravage through, the people with stronger immune systems will survive. I'm guessing it's been some time that we've been "sheltered" from natural selection, and nature seems to be getting a little impatient to start doing it's thing again.

For real, just let it ravage us. Get it over with, sick of all these bullshit regulations, vaccines that do fuck all against catching the damn thing (a colleague of mine, had all 3 shots. He caught it 3 fucking times).
I got all 3 shots, and it ruined me every time.
So yeah, fuck it. Bring it on.

Mudskipper

Kill 'em all

April 26, 2022 | CNET

Nuke those fuckers to be on the safe side so virus doesnt spread. Or just nuke em anyway cos they suck.

Jon N.

Forum Veteran

April 26, 2022 | CNET

sure, why not, all the cooties started there anyway might as well finish it there.

Back