Last Movie You Watched..

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
New World. 2013. South Korea.
8/10
Pretty good crime film about a undercover cop nearing the end of an operation. Due to the 'unexpected' death of the Chairman of the 'company', there ensues a power vacum between two of the younger bosses. Choi Min-sik whose was in the original Oldboy ( I saw the devil, The quiet family.) Is excellent as the handler of the young cop. The film has alot of twists but not a crazy amount of characters, the violence isn't always shown with the camera set just above or just after something has happened. It helps it not stray into horror or action and still maintain a good amount of tension. The third act slowed down a little, but the twists were there. Right till the end.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Santa Sangre. (Holy Blood) 1989.
7/10
Above average is how i describe this film. Horror, but not really, surreal, but still based in some reality, completely plotless, but compelling.
For an hour and half of a two hour run time. Then i started the FFwding. What plot i could get from it was a circus high wire act is married to the ringmaster and they have a kid magician son. She catches hubby about to plow the tattooed lady, throws acid on him, he cuts off her arms. The son and her do a quite impressive act where is her hands, this extends to real life and she controls him. There is a stack of other things happening. None of which really make any sense, but are very colourful and nice to watch.
Based on this, it'll be a while before id watch a Alejandro Jodorowsky film again.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Akria. 1988. Japan.
6/10
Impressive animation for 1988.
A young biker is taken away and tested on and develops 'supernatual' powers.
That was about all i really get out of what i watched. There were other characters but even thou they were key to story, i had no idea where they fitted in. Even in the last 15-20mins of what is a pretty action packed two hour film, it showed their origin and i still couldn't figure it out. The animation is really great, perspective, transformations, different angles and destruction make for quite the experience.
There has been talk of a 'live action' version of it.

Bethy 🔥

SOMETIMES LIFE AINT FAIR KIDDO...
Super Moderator
Akria. 1988. Japan.
6/10
Impressive animation for 1988.
A young biker is taken away and tested on and develops 'supernatual' powers.
That was about all i really get out of what i watched. There were other characters but even thou they were key to story, i had no idea where they fitted in. Even in the last 15-20mins of what is a pretty action packed two hour film, it showed their origin and i still couldn't figure it out. The animation is really great, perspective, transformations, different angles and destruction make for quite the experience.
There has been talk of a 'live action' version of it.
I have a cat named Akira 😛

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
MANIAC 2012.
7/10
A remake of the cheap 1980 slasher starring Joe Spinell. I have a dvd copy of that film, but haven't watched it yet. Im no fan in general of remakes, but this one was filmed with a first-person-view, the result was the film was banned here in N.Z.
Frank restores antique store window dummies, and as the film progresses we find that he has some 'issues' regarding his mother.
A simple plot but the way its filmed makes it compelling. There's only a few times he does any killing, one being a rather brutal stabbing. It takes a while to crank up but does get creepy. Elijah Wood is well cast as Frank and the effects are great mainly because they consist of scalping.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Psychokinesis. 2018. South Korea.
3/10
A 'Netflix original' by the director of Train to Busan. I'v watched 'Train' three times and really enjoyed it. I was interested to see it because he was the director but i knew if Netflix had a hand in it, it would be a very lightweight film.
I wasn't wrong. A bloke develops 'superpowers' from drinking tainted spring water via a meteorite, he uses those powers to help his daughter who he hasn't seen for years in a battle with a greedy construction company. Simple and entertaining, just like Netflix would want so they could plaster it across there service. Watchable if you want a feel good not-really-super-hero film.

Smokinrav

Fucking asshole pot smoker
It's a Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood.

In the theatre. The story about Mr. Rodgers. It was quite good, as someone who remembers him as a child, and who entertained my kids before he retired and died in 2003.
It's an unexpected storyline, and mostly made for adults, as some themes are fairly mature and emotional.
Highly recommended, if you're old like me.

Cold Ethyl

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It's a Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood.

In the theatre. The story about Mr. Rodgers. It was quite good, as someone who remembers him as a child, and who entertained my kids before he retired and died in 2003.
It's an unexpected storyline, and mostly made for adults, as some themes are fairly mature and emotional.
Highly recommended, if you're old like me.
Did you know him and tom hanks are supposed to be like 6th cousins or something?

220px-The_Green_Inferno_poster.jpg

5/10