long island serial killer (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hellwig

Banned
:beer: for that, Blood. I guess my MAIN point is that the fact that the majority of the victims are white would tend to suggest that the killer is white, which is prob the same logic the police are using. I'm guessing the only reason they released ANY specific profile was so anyone with suspicions about a possible perp. might come forth.
It's a dangerous life at the best of times, so any working ho's need to be pretty street smart and cautious at all times, so I doubt that was too much of a consideration when releasing the profile either (right or wrong).
As you said, profiling IS an inexact science, so I don't think it should be used so much as a BASE for any investigation, more as just a (possibly) useful tool. Too much reliance on it could lead to "tunnel vision", which is never a good thing in these cases.
Thanks for the debate tho - very interesting case!

:beer: for that, Blood. I guess my MAIN point is that the fact that the majority of the victims are white would tend to suggest that the killer is white, which is prob the same logic the police are using. I'm guessing the only reason they released ANY specific profile was so anyone with suspicions about a possible perp. might come forth.
It's a dangerous life at the best of times, so any working ho's need to be pretty street smart and cautious at all times, so I doubt that was too much of a consideration when releasing the profile either (right or wrong).
As you said, profiling IS an inexact science, so I don't think it should be used so much as a BASE for any investigation, more as just a (possibly) useful tool. Too much reliance on it could lead to "tunnel vision", which is never a good thing in these cases.
Thanks for the debate tho - very interesting case!
No doubt.I love the Avatar.That movie was so damn funny. :)

It has been theorized,that because these women were first reported missing in the summer months,that there is a seasonal nature to the crimes.If in fact this is the case,then perhaps he has an even bigger dump site in the area were he resides in the winter months.Also,too much emphasis,is being put on the Craig's List connection.Just because these women advetised their services on that site,doesn't mean that is how they were encountered.It could have been a hook up through a mutual friend,or something like that.

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
look at the obivous its a cop with a thing for hookers nobody is going to look at a cop car this is how he gets them into the car to the swamps since its on the way to jail and nobody is going to care or remember seeing a cop car get it ....

look at the obivous its a cop with a thing for hookers nobody is going to look at a cop car this is how he gets them into the car to the swamps since its on the way to jail and nobody is going to care or remember seeing a cop car get it ....
Or a former cop.
Then I guess you have solved the case.Go get your 25G reward.;)Sorry for the sarcasm.It is just so unlikely that it is a cop.Not that it is impossible.In the history of serial killers, I can only remember of one case.

Ocean Parkway.jpg
Look at this stretch of road.The arrow indicates where a body was found.You can see for miles.In the summer,it is heavily patrolled by car,but in the winter,it is mainly patrolled by the eye in the sky.That is a popular drag racing stretch.;)

Attachments

• imagesCAV23D39.jpg
    imagesCAV23D39.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 22
Or a former cop.
Then I guess you have solved the case.Go get your 25G reward.;)Sorry for the sarcasm.It is just so unlikely that it is a cop.Not that it is impossible.In the history of serial killers, I can only remember of one case.
Great debate though.I love it.That is what makes things like this so facinating.:)

The four bodies that were in burlap sacks,in my view,were seperate.Unless the killer was not thinking.Burlap,is a very distinctive material,in regards to micro-forensics.What do we know about distinctive physical evidence?It is not conclusive,but very compelling.Remember the Dupont paint particles that that linked Ridgway?That is enough to tie a person of interest to the case.That particular burlap fiber,would be all but impossible to remove totally from a vehicle. DMV records of a person of interest, could be investigated and the sale of a vehicle has a trail.I am just speculating about the case, from a different aspect.

Sicksicle

Well Known Member
I really liked this post.I must admit,that I have heard some really far out theories.I think that it is racial profiling, to say that it is a,"white male, twenty five to mid forties."It's like in the Ridgway case.They had him in custody years earlier.He did not fit , "the profile". We are all entitled to our own views.
It wasn't he didn't fit the profile, Ridgway threw used cigarette butts and chewing gum create a false DNA profile. He fit the profile alright 4 times he was brought in and 3 times released. He was a smart operator.

missfluffi

Rookie
You all need to read the book Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker. In it he gives a background on each of the 4 victims found wrapped in burlap (these 4 are all believed to belong to the same killer). Shannon Gilbert is the reason these 4 were found, the police were searching for her after she disappeared while on a call out to a John in Oak Beach. She was with a driver, hence why she is believed to have been killed by someone else. Her disappearance did not match the 4 other girls, who were each taken while they were alone. Shannon was left by her driver after she ran screaming from the John's house. There's a 23 min call to 911 where she is screaming that "they" are trying to kill her. Her driver and a resident can both be heard on the 911 tape trying to calm her and get her in the car. When the police finally arrived 40 mins later, Shannon had disappeared and her driver had driven away. A doctor who lived in the gated community called her mother 2 days after she disappeared, saying that he had treated her daughter at a rehab clinic he ran - he later denied making the call, until it was proven he was lying. After reading the book, it all points to Maureen, Megan, Melissa and Amber all being killed by the same person. Family members and friends believe that these girls knew and obviously had some trust in the killer to agree to see them alone. They were all disposed of in an identical manner and the remains were intact, unlike the torso and legs of other victims which were located in separate areas on long island. There's the belief that Ocean Parkway is a dumping ground for many killers, not just limited to one killer. What it comes down to though, is that even if the 4 in burlap weren't killed by the same person who killed Shannon (whose cause of death couldn't be determined - it was presumed she died by drowning in the marsh), these girls are still going to be linked in peoples opinion because it was the search for Shannon that turned up their remains. I really felt for these young women, who were dealt some pretty shitty blows in their short lives. Maureen was working to earn enough to avoid being evicted - she had 2 small kids. Melissa wanted to open her own legit business, Megan had a daughter, Amber had been raped as a child and was a drug addict. They weren't just sex workers. They were mothers, sisters, daughters who had shitty lives and were just trying to earn enough to get by. They didn't deserve to be treated like trash

Killiefish

Rookie
They weren't just sex workers. They were mothers, sisters, daughters who had shitty lives and were just trying to earn enough to get by. They didn't deserve to be treated like trash

You really are correct. everybody has a story. Society always underestimates just how much chance has to do with who is "successful" and who "are losers." Often times I've found that those calling others "trash" or saying "they got what they deserved" really mean to say is "hey look, I finally found someone I'm better than."

angelo212

Well Known Member

zinfandel

The hair-flip of death
There was a broad named Shannan Gilbert that was from my area Jersey City, NJ. that was killed. I didn't know here but she use to work at a Toms dinner on Central Ave in Jersey City where I went for coffee every morning. I worked across the street from there. Pretty bitch to. Here is a link to a story about it.
Jersey City woman Shannan Gilbert to be buried more than 3 years after remains were found on Long Island
Dang!! She was gorgeous! I'd hate her :D but she's already gone.

Back