Simphiwe Kolisi


Simphiwe Kolisi

Quigney serial killer Simphiwe Kolisi has been found guilty of nine of the 10 counts he was facing in the Eastern Cape High Court (East London), says a Saturday Dispatch report.

Kolisi was charged with two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, three rape counts and five counts of murder. Last month he pleaded guilty to two rapes and four murders committed around the Quigney between 2010 and 2012.

AN ALLEGED serial killer who reportedly had sex with his female victims before strangling them to death, made a brief appearance in the East London Magistrate’s Court yesterday morning.

Simphiwe Kolisi, 34, faces up to six charges of murder.

According to police, he has already confessed to five of the killings. The admissibility of the alleged confessions will be argued in the trial court.

Wearing a cream T-shirt, the medium-built man from Mdantsane waited patiently in the dock for his case to be called.

When his name was eventually called out by the prosecution, he stood up, crossed his arms behind his back, and stared straight ahead. He showed little emotion when the state requested yet another postponement.

State prosecutor Luntu Magaxa said although the matter was ready for trial, the state was waiting on a decision from the Director of Public Prosecutions on where the matter would be tried.

He said the matter would either be transferred to the high court or a regional court.

Kolisi was arrested in April this year after he allegedly murdered a man who had reportedly been having sex with a prostitute in Quigney, East London.

It is alleged that Kolisi stabbed the man to death.

He was arrested after the prostitute who witnessed the incident identified him as the alleged killer. He was remanded in custody pending trial.

It is alleged that following his arrest, Kolisi confessed to another four murders committed in Quigney and Milner Estate between 2009 and 2012, and pointed out some of the crime scenes to the police.

He denies a sixth murder for which he is also being investigated as a suspect.

Kolisi reportedly confessed to having sex with his four female victims before strangling them to death. On two occasions in 2010 and 2011, Kolisi reported the murders to the police.

In December 2010, he told police that he and the 18-year-old deceased woman had been walking near Tutton Terrace when five men robbed them.

Her lifeless body was discovered by police later that night. She had died from strangulation.

Then, in March 2011, Kolisi again went to the Fleet Street police station, and this time claimed he was urinating in the bushes in Milner Estate when he stumbled over a woman’s body.

The unidentified victim had also died from asphyxiation.

It was only several months later, after the April 2012 murder of the 37-year-old man, that police connected him with the other killings.

A trial date will be set on July 6. Kolisi is represented by the Legal Aid Board of South Africa. Magistrate Similo Jafthapresided. —