The Worst Ebola Outbreak in History (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

D.N.R.

Medication time
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...k-in-history-heres-why-you-should-be-worried/
Ebola1.jpg

The worst Ebola outbreak in history has put a number of countries in West Africa in lockdown, led to the deaths of nearly 700 people since February and brought new reports of doctors, including Americans, contracting the virus they are attempting to contain. The situation is undeniably scary. Here's what you need to know.

What is Ebola?
Ebola viral disease is a highly infectious illness with fatality rates up to 90 percent, according to the U.N. World Health Organization. Symptoms initially include a sudden fever as well as joint and muscle aches and then typically progress to vomiting, diarrhea and, in some cases, internal and external bleeding — you can see a full, grim description of symptoms compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) here.

The virus spreads through contact with bodily fluids of someone who is infected. Reports of human infections usually first emerge in remote areas that are in proximity to tropical rain forests, where humans can come into contact with animals such as chimpanzees, gorillas and forest antelope. The consumption of bush meat is often a precursor to such outbreaks. The WHO says fruit bats are probably the natural host for the virus.

Wayne Kerr

a fuck off is always acceptable*
This user was banned
Natural host of Ebola virus
In Africa, fruit bats, particularly species of the genera Hypsignathus monstrosus, Epomops franqueti and Myonycteris torquata, are considered possible natural hosts for Ebola virus. As a result, the geographic distribution of Ebolaviruses may overlap with the range of the fruit bats.
considered possible really narrows it down...

MATAMUERTOS

اصبع القدم الجمل
Today on the (re routed) train somewhere in Germany i picked up a newspaper with a story on the possibility of moving infected medical personal to Hamburg ,Germany for treatment. A special ward has been set up. As much as it saddens me that doctors are getting infected by their patients it seems foolish to import the bug to Europe...
Also i found it interesting to read that the corpses of Ebola victims are still contagious. (WTF)

nola

Forum Veteran
Today on the (re routed) train somewhere in Germany i picked up a newspaper with a story on the possibility of moving infected medical personal to Hamburg ,Germany for treatment. A special ward has been set up. As much as it saddens me that doctors are getting infected by their patients it seems foolish to import the bug to Europe...
Also i found it interesting to read that the corpses of Ebola victims are still contagious. (WTF)

That is not good news.

Ebola is also a bio weapon that some countries and extremist groups have manufactured. All for naught if people continue to travel in and out of W. Africa.
:dead:

MATAMUERTOS

اصبع القدم الجمل
In Nigeria, health authorities announced they were trying to trace more than 30,000 people who could be at risk of contracting Ebola after Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian, died from the disease in Lagos on Friday.

Sunday Omilabu, a professor at Lagos University Teaching Hospital, said: "We've been making contacts. As I'm talking, our teams are in the facility, where they've trained the staff, and then they (are) now asking questions about those that were closely in contact with the patient.

"We're actually looking at contacting over 30,000 people in this very scenario. Because any and everybody that has contacted this person is going to be treated as a suspect," said Yewande Adeshina, a public health adviser.

-Al Jazeera , July 31 2014

Gogoplata

Supporter of Sun - Dog
Short Bussed
They're bringing it to the states.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Emory University Hospital is expected to receive a patient infected with the deadly Ebola virus within the next several days, the university announced Thursday.

It’s unclear when exactly the patient will arrive, according to a statement from Emory. The Clifton Road hospital has a specially built isolation unit to treat patients exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. Set up in collaboration with the Atlanta-based U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the unit is physically separate from other patient areas and is one of only four such facilities in the country.

The Associated Press reported Thursday that the Ebola death toll passed 700 in West Africa as security forces went house-to-house in Sierra Leone’s capital looking for patients and others exposed to the disease.

The CDC warned against travel to Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
The AP also said that almost half of the 57 new deaths reported by the World Health Organization occurred in Liberia, where two Americans, Dr. Kent Brantly of Texas and Nancy Writebol, a North Carolina-based missionary, are also sick with Ebola. It was unknown which of the two was coming to Atlanta.

Quoting an unidentified source, CNN reported Thursday evening that a medical charter flight left Cartersville to evacuate the two Americans from Monrovia, Liberia.
Experts on the Ebola virus expressed little concern that the virus would spread to other continents. CDC Director Thomas Frieden said an outbreak in the United States was “not in the cards.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/emory-healthcare-to-treat-ebola-patient/ngrtm/

Back