El Salvador ~ Civil War (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
The Salvadoran Civil War (1979–1992) was a conflict in El Salvador between the military-led government of El Salvador backed by the United States government, and the Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (FMLN), a coalition or 'umbrella organization' of five left-wing guerrilla groups. Significant tensions and violence already existed in the 1970s, before the full-fledged official outbreak of the civil war—which lasted for twelve years.

El Salvador's Civil War was the second longest civil war in Latin America after the Guatemalan Civil War.

The conflict ended in the early 1990s. An unknown number of people disappeared, and more than 70,000 were killed.

Set 1.

1thumb.
salvadorian-civil-war-thumb-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

2. The exhumed bodies of female missionaries who were raped and executed.
salvadorian-civil-war1-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

2. Skeletal remains of a child.
salvadorian-civil-war2-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

3. Rotting corpses from the El Mozote massacre.
salvadorian-civil-war3-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

4. Another victim of the El Mozote massacre.
salvadorian-civil-war4-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
The Salvadoran insurgency originated in the 1970s, during which time economic and political tensions in El Salvador were on the rise. These tensions were fueled by economic inequality,' the problems generated by the 1973 oil crisis, massacre of National University of El Salvador students that were rallying on the streets near the bridge by the Social Security Institute Hospital (1973) and the pressure generated by the thousands of refugees from the 1969 war with Honduras.

Set 2.

5. Victims of the El Mozote massacre.
salvadorian-civil-war5-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

salvadorian-civil-war6-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

salvadorian-civil-war7-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

8. Body of a rebel that Gov Forces dragged through the streets.
salvadorian-civil-war8-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Fraudulent presidential elections in 1972 and 1977, the failure of the regime's token land reform program in 1976 and the repression of left-leaning political parties generated widespread discontent with the government, leading broad-based political groups to organize mass demonstrations demanding fair elections and improved social conditions.
Set 3.
9. Dumping ground for victims of the Death Squads. Families of missing persons looked here first.
salvadorian-civil-war9-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

salvadorian-civil-war10-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

11. Victims of the shootings at the St. Etienne Cathedral.
salvadorian-civil-war11-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

12. Police use an ice cream vendor as a human shield.
salvadorian-civil-war12-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
In May 1980, the Salvadoran revolutionary leadership met in Havana, forming the consolidated politico-military command, the DRU — Dirección Revolucionaria Unificada (Unified Revolutionary Directorate). In October, they founded the Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front (comprising the Frente Farabundo Martí de Liberación Nacional [FMLN] and the Frente Democrático Revolucionario [FDR]) honoring insurgent hero Farabundo Martí, whom the Salvadoran National Guard killed in 1932.

Set 4.

salvadorian-civil-war13-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

salvadorian-civil-war14-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

salvadorian-civil-war15-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

salvadorian-civil-war16-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
In preparing for a mass insurrection against the military regime, the FMLN's feasible military victory was a two-pronged strategy of economic sabotage and a prolonged guerrilla war-of-attrition fought with rural guerrillas and urban civil political support; thus, in the 1980–1982 period political violence increased when mass political groups metamorphosed into guerrillas. On 10 January 1981, the FMLN's first, major attack established their control of most of Morazán and Chalatenango departments for the war's duration.

In November 1989, the FMLN captured parts of San Salvador city, though they failed to take power. Eventually, by April 1991, negotiations resumed, resulting in a truce that successfully concluded in January 1992, bringing about the war's end.

On 16 January 1992, the Chapultepec Peace Accords were signed in Chapultepec Castle, Mexico City, to bring peace to El Salvador,. The Armed Forces were regulated, a civilian police force was established, the FMLN metamorphosed from a guerrilla army to a political party, and an amnesty law was legislated in 1993.

Set 5.

17. Two young girls executed at the side of the road.
salvadorian-civil-war17-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

18. Dead students.
salvadorian-civil-war18-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

19. Exhuming the bodies of nuns who were kidnapped, raped and killed by a Death Squad.
salvadorian-civil-war19-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

20. Soldiers with the dead bodies of rebels.
salvadorian-civil-war20-El-Salvador-1979-92.jpg

Msprissypants

Mors tua, vita mea
Short Bussed
Along with a combination of other factors and fucked up events, isn't this part of the reason the MS-13 gang is now around?
Great thread, anything historical I love. Thanks again.

aRyan

TRUMP or BUST
Awesome thread, thank you very much for it. These are all new to me.

Here in the US, we are still feeling the effects of this war if you think about it. MS-13 and such. Some of the leaders iirc were part of this war.

Anyone interested in the politics or just death squads in general should watch this movie, the dead nun scene is poignant to say the least.

View attachment 73516

Trying to download it now. Thanks.

NightMare

My gift to you, a Nightmare of terror
Death Hand, you do have quite a library, I would love to know half of what you know. Back to the topic at hand though. Sometimes it is easy for me to float through the pictures and make fun of this guys brain or that woman's guts, but the war pictures, those just give me nightmares. After being a "public servant" for as many years as I was, and seeing first hand the horrors that humans bestow upon each other is sickening at best. When I see and read about war horrors like these, I can't help but cry. I have seen things that would make most men sick, but this, this kind of horror, this makes my heart break. It is a part of history and should never be forgotten. But I guess it is just as well I stay out of these kinds of threads, not healthy for the spirit, or at least mine. But thanks for all the history lessons that you share with us.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Death Hand, you do have quite a library, I would love to know half of what you know. Back to the topic at hand though. Sometimes it is easy for me to float through the pictures and make fun of this guys brain or that woman's guts, but the war pictures, those just give me nightmares. After being a "public servant" for as many years as I was, and seeing first hand the horrors that humans bestow upon each other is sickening at best. When I see and read about war horrors like these, I can't help but cry. I have seen things that would make most men sick, but this, this kind of horror, this makes my heart break. It is a part of history and should never be forgotten. But I guess it is just as well I stay out of these kinds of threads, not healthy for the spirit, or at least mine. But thanks for all the history lessons that you share with us.
I seem to have always thought that war was war. But war does show what humans are capable of, and then some. Politicians get the fight going; top brass get the wheels in motion; soldiers are sent into battle.

The game plays out and eventually one side has to win.

A "win" justifies the top brass' decisions and further elevates the politicians above them while the soldiers that died are glorified as national martyrs - saviors of the country, the world, although they can no longer speak of their thoughts and views about the chaos that they were thrust into (and yes, each soldier knows that this is expected of them - it is their job).

They "lose", and well don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Political parties crumble, top brass are demoted and replaced, and the soldiers are still dead.

I think that it will always be this way because it always has been this way. And no worry, I was a Civil Servant.

Yours thoughts/views are appreciated :)

Msprissypants

Mors tua, vita mea
Short Bussed
More often than not, wars like this, Vietnam, battles like Mogadishu...Iraq... end with a Pyrric victory, a victory at just to high of a cost. Everything should be done to prevent war from happening, best way to do that is to study it.b
I offer my thanks too, DeathHand.

fritoburrito

One day all will be revealed.
Just when I think I've found something cool to post, and something you have not already done, you've already done it. I think I'll end up joining the army so I can off some ragheads and get the first pics out.

Anyway, El Salvador is a pet subject of mine, not sure why but interesting. Awesome fucking post, as usual! :cool:

Back