Last Movie You Watched..

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Portrait of a lady on fire. 2019. France.
8/10
A artist has an affair with the subject.
Nice drama about a woman commissioned to paint a portrait of another woman without her knowledge. The film is slow but steady with only 3 main characters, the artist, subject, maid. There's not too much of a story, it really centers around the painting and how she hides it at first and then does another which is when the 'affair' starts between them. The dyke scenes are nicely filmed, not like The Handmaiden, which is pretty full on compared to this. It shows the preperation and skill involved in painting in general and has a nice ending.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Higanjima: escape from vampire island. 2009.
4/10
A group go to a island to rescue one of the groups brother, it's over run with vampires.
What is a layered story has cheesy acting, rapid editing with any fight scenes and near the end some really budget and, just shit looking CGI creatures. I lasted 90 mins on a two hour film and then clicked thru till the end. The film itself was OK even thou the copy i got was dubbed into french. But some of the dramatic elements were just too much.
No english subtitles.

Humungus

Forum Veteran
5D382D45-9A9C-4B72-B9D0-99F9B44BC76B.jpeg

6 Underground if you want a deep meaning thoughtful movie 1/10 If you want start to finish mindless action with some laughs 10/10 I loved it and one of the only movies I can think of where lots of Joe Public get shot run over smeared by lorries etc like I say I loved it,it’s on Netflix.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
The Lighthouse. 2019.
7/10
Two men alone on a lighthouse.
A psychological horror about loneliness and enforced isolation. Robert Eggers co-wrote this his brother Max Eggers. Filmed in black and white it has long dramatic scenes with the tension kicking in the 2nd hour and the 'horror' part only in the last 20 mins. Robert Pattinson and William Dafoe give really good performances, Pattinson especially. His character is kinda the main focus and goes slowly mad. Not a film most people would be able to sit thru because it is slow and kinda surreal but compeling.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Lesson of evil. 2014. Japan.
7/10
A popular teacher has a hidden history of violence.
The film slowly shows different pieces which come together at about the hour mark. This includes the history of the teacher and some the interactions between the students and other teachers. It's typically layered and not an exciting watch till it all kicks off.
And it gets pretty violent. At one point (slight spoiler) he blasts one by one with a shot gun a group of screaming students trapped at the top of the building. It looked like the mosque shooting with a jazz soundtrack and alot more blood. The film has alot going on and it is funny with a good ending.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
High life. 2019.
4/10
Space drama.
Co-written and directed by Claire Denis, a well known french director. This is a drama about a group of convicts on a mission to extract energy from a black hole. The doctor with them is doing some wacky IVF treatments. Starring Robert Pattenson as the main lead and voice over it works well but after 90 mins of about 2 hour film i hit the FF button. There is some action and things do happen but i found it frustrating even thou it was well acted and filmed.

Jon E(vil)

True gore artist.
Dying to survive. China. 2018.
8/10
A drama with a slight comedic edge for a while about a bloke who smuggles in cancer drugs in China. Based on a true story, it's a good film about the pharmaceutical industry in general and how success and money blind a person. It's layered with a few characters but is not hard to follow.