The Chaco War: '32-'35 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
This is a war that is rarely covered.

"The Chaco War (1932-1935) was the result of a territory dispute between Bolivia and Paraguay. Both landlocked countries sought an expansion of territory in an effort to gain better access to the River Paraguay. This river runs through a stretch of territory between Bolivia and Paraguay known as the Chaco Boreal.

In 1932, Bolivia attempted to break out of its landlocked situation and gain access to the Atlantic ocean through capture of the River Paraguay; athwart that route lay the Chaco Boreal, which the Bolivians thought had large oil preserves."

Set 1.

chaco-thumb.jpg

chaco-dead-bolivians-on-road.jpg

chaco-war-injured1.jpg

dead-bolivian2-soldier.jpg

dead-bolivian3-soldier.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
"Paraguay, in a move instigated by national unity, heavily armed their borders and fought viciously to defend itself against Bolivia's advances. The resultant war was disastrous for both sides: Bolivia and Paraguay lost more than 100,000 soldiers. In 1935, Paraguay would eventually claim victory over Bolivia, thus firmly establishing the Chaco Boreal as a part of Paraguay.

In the years preceding 1932, minor armed confrontations were frequent along the Bolivian/Paraguayan border. As war became inevitable in the early months of 1932, Paraguay began mounting huge numbers of troops along its border. As Paraguay was attempting to adequately arm itself, a Bolivian force stromed the Paraguayan fort at Vangaurdia on June 15, 1932 and the war began."

Set 2.

dead-bolivian4-soldier.jpg

dead-bolivian5-soldier.jpg

dead-bolivian6-soldier.jpg

dead-bolivian-soldier.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
"The war continued for three years.

During this time, thousands of soldiers died in the isolated regions of the Chaco. It was difficult for soldiers to survive the harsh climate of the Chaco region. The forrested areas were especially dense, causing many to loose their lives to unknown diseases and infections.

More soldiers eventually died from diseases such as malaria than they did from gun shot wounds. Three years into the conflict, and after 100,000 lives were lost, both Paraguay and Bolivia began to feel the harsh economic strains of the war.The Paraguayan army was eventually able push the Bolivians back until they were almost entirely ejected from the Chaco region."

Set 3.

dead-bolivian-soldier-Fortin Boqueron-Paraguay-1932.jpg

12. Items were requisitioned from soldiers bodies.
dead-bolivian-soldier-items-requisitioned.jpg

dead-paraguayan-soldier.jpg

dead-soldier.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
"Through foreign mediation, a cease-fire was attained on June 12, 1935. It was confirmed with a truce signed in 1935 by both countires and subsequently signed in 1938, awarding Paraguay permanent control of three-quarters of the Chaco Boreal. Bolivia was left defeated, without the waterway it had hoped to attain.

Years later, oil companies explored the Chaco region and were unable to find significant deposites of oil. Today, Guarani Indians remain in the Chaco region, along with significant groups of Menonite settlers. Bolivia and Paraguay are no longer on hostile terms and the Chaco Boreal has continued to be used for agricultural purposes by Paraguay."

Set 4.

dead-bolivian-soldier-Boqueron-Paraguay.jpg

dead-soldier2.jpg

17. Fatal stomach wound.
fatal-stomach-wound-paraguayan2-soldier.jpg

remains-of-unkown-soldier.jpg

PTSD Is My Life

The internal medal for the wars I still fight
Thanks DH I had never heard of this one, so many wars, so little photographic evidence......well thats leaked to the public that is....but I take my hat off to your locating skills!

PTSD Is My Life

In pic 15 just above the bodies head there is something highlighted by an arrow.
I have looked and looked again and the closest thing I can figure it out to be is a hand rolled "cigarillo" a chopped to tobacco leaf rolled up in another one. Occasionally the smoker would add some special "medicine" into the mix ranging from certain poisons found on indigenous plants and animals which would result in hallucinogenic happy times (or scared to fuck times depending how much dried frog mucous you added), to the more acceptable herbal plant so many still know and love :confused:

If it is a "smoke" of some sort it looks like it had just been lit when the good news hit home killing the person and it slowly burnt just over half way through before burning out. If you look closely it would appear to have burnt more on one side than the other, which is what happens when a smoke of any kind is left burning on the ground (or the edge of your mothers antique table)!
If this is the case. The next question is, did he break the golden rule and lit it during the night? These things don't light up like a modern cigarette laden with arsenic and salt peter, the tobacco leaf has to be a little moist to be able to wrap around the contents so it takes prolonged contact with a flame to get it going. Certainly long enough to see the flame and "snuff both it and said smoker out".

But I could be wrong, it could be anything, I'm just intreged as to what the importance of highlighting it and marking its location....

NightMare

My gift to you, a Nightmare of terror
In pic 15 just above the bodies head there is something highlighted by an arrow.
I have looked and looked again and the closest thing I can figure it out to be is a hand rolled "cigarillo" a chopped to tobacco leaf rolled up in another one. Occasionally the smoker would add some special "medicine" into the mix ranging from certain poisons found on indigenous plants and animals which would result in hallucinogenic happy times (or scared to fuck times depending how much dried frog mucous you added), to the more acceptable herbal plant so many still know and love :confused:

If it is a "smoke" of some sort it looks like it had just been lit when the good news hit home killing the person and it slowly burnt just over half way through before burning out. If you look closely it would appear to have burnt more on one side than the other, which is what happens when a smoke of any kind is left burning on the ground (or the edge of your mothers antique table)!
If this is the case. The next question is, did he break the golden rule and lit it during the night? These things don't light up like a modern cigarette laden with arsenic and salt peter, the tobacco leaf has to be a little moist to be able to wrap around the contents so it takes prolonged contact with a flame to get it going. Certainly long enough to see the flame and "snuff both it and said smoker out".

But I could be wrong, it could be anything, I'm just intreged as to what the importance of highlighting it and marking its location....

I saw that too! I looked at what the arrow was pointing at but and it looked like a couple of home rollies to me. Also, what is up with his teeth?? Looks like they got sawed off or something?? Cool all the same,but it's those little things that make it count!!
Your friend, NM!

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I saw that too! I looked at what the arrow was pointing at but and it looked like a couple of home rollies to me. Also, what is up with his teeth?? Looks like they got sawed off or something?? Cool all the same,but it's those little things that make it count!!
Your friend, NM!
I'll have to pull up the full sized version of that image and have a closer look. I think that the 'arrow' is actually just a shadow that darkened when I adjusted the contrast. Other than that, I think that's a crumpled Marlboro.

NightMare

My gift to you, a Nightmare of terror
I'll have to pull up the full sized version of that image and have a closer look. I think that the 'arrow' is actually just a shadow that darkened when I adjusted the contrast. Other than that, I think that's a crumpled Marlboro.
I don't know. It looks like an arrow made of the same black ink (or what ever they used) on the other pictures that are numbered and have arrow's in them. But I am getting old and shit just never looks like what I really want it to!!

PTSD Is My Life

Your friend, NM!
Your friend, NM!

It looks as though his teeth have been removed, could be trophy hunting, or the very creepy habit that made it big after the Battle of Waterloo between the English and the French. There was such a tremendous loss of young healthy men on both sides that the scavengers who scoured the battlefields for anything valuable removed the good "healthy" teeth from those who had recently found they had no need for them!
These teeth where then sold to surgeons on both sides of the conflict who set them into porcelain, carved ivory, wood etc to make false teeth for the rich who up until the sudden availability of the bounty of teeth from the Anglo-French battlefields had relied on painted wooden teeth!
Although collected from many battlefields Waterloo saw a tremendous amount of young men killed in a relitably short period of time and it was a desisive victory that the "pullers" where able to gain access to a large amount of fresh tootypegs before the bodies started to get squishy and stinky which affected quality the dentine within and gave them a funky taste when the new owner flashed his dazzling new "Waterloo's" as they became known, it was such an important and desisive battle that it was celebrated the length and breadth of the county and in the new expanding industrial cities every self respecting and patriotic mill or factory owner named his newly built streets after all the important battles and the hero of the day, the master General of the wars was Lord Wellington.... Who asked that over boots be made for his expensive leather riding boots, these water, mud and whatever proof dandy and dapper (anything General/Lord Wellington did was the "in" thing back home with both the rich and poor alike, he was idolised). People started copying his waterproof overboots and they became known as.... Yep you got it Wellington(s) Boots.
Just like another famous rich Earl who had been gambling for day after day and when the food was served he asked that the bread be sliced and placed his meat and gravy between the bread so his hands would be clean and he could carry on playing cards.
I can't remember what his meat and bread thing was called now..
But the man who did it and started the fashionable craze was The Earl of Sandwich (Sandwich was/is an estate/area of Southern England).
OK my resources of useless information are now depleted but before I go I wonder if the success of the porcelain mounted "Waterloo's" helped the spread of the Earl of Sandwich new two slices of bread with meat in between catch on!!

PTSD Is My Life

Hi D/H, the arrow in question is more visible in photo #15 than in #1.
I see the shadows your referring to on the top right of the picture (around the 1 or 2 'o' clock position) the arrow though is above the handsome chappie's face, if you look directly above his head in line with his now toothless grin you should see the arrow, it points left to right ➡.
Btw this post has fascinated me, so many men dead for nothing, not only did the campaign fail but the world didn't care enough to to highlight this fight, some skirmishes last mere days or weeks are better known than the long fight in terrible conditions for these men not accustomed to jungle life.
It has also made me think, just how many of the deaths where at the hands of the VERY territorial indigenous tribes who apart from being awesomely deadly with bows, spears and blow pipe are also believed to have "spiked" their enemies food. This they did with an extremely fine blow pipe dart dipped into the mucous of the infamous poison dart frogs then piercing the fruit they sold or traded with the soldiers, loggers, farmers and or settlers they felt where getting too close to their lands. The damned stuff is so effective the could pierce chunks of meat with one dart and gently introduce the poison with another deep into the heart of the meat where it would be cooked the least when bbq'd over an open fire giving the person a healthy(?) dose of piss yer pants and squirm about deep sleeping potion. This latter practice is still believed to be occasionally used when waring settlers have been found brown bread after accepting peace offerings from the local Indians. Nice chaps, but they have managed to keep their section of forest mostly unoccupied by others for a few hundred years!

Back