The US lifts a ban on sending weapons to a controversial Ukrainian military unit (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

K.I.T.T.

I Fucked Your Porsche
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — The U.S. has lifted a ban on providing American weapons and training to a controversial Ukrainian military unit that was key to the defense of the major port city of Mariupol, the State Department said on Tuesday.

The Azov Brigade is among Ukraine’s most effective and popular fighting units but it has been dogged by its origins as a volunteer battalion that drew fighters from far-right circles and criticism for some of its tactics. The U.S. had banned the regiment from using American weapons, citing the neo-Nazi ideology of some of its founders.

The current members of the Azov Brigade, which has been absorbed into Ukraine’s National Guard as the 12th Special Forces Brigade, reject accusations of extremism and any ties with far-right movements. But the Kremlin has seized on the regiment’s origins in its efforts to cast Russia’s invasion as a battle against Nazi influence in Ukraine.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow took an “extremely negative” view of Washington’s decision. He described Azov as an “ultranationalist armed formation” and accused U.S. authorities of being “ready to flirt with neo-Nazis.”

U.S. law prohibits providing equipment and training to foreign military units or individuals suspected of committing gross human rights violations. The State Department said in a statement that it found “no evidence” of such violations.

“This is a new page in our unit’s history,” the Azov Brigade wrote in a statement on Instagram. “Azov is becoming even more powerful, even more professional and even more dangerous for occupiers.”

“Obtaining Western weapons and training from the United States will not only increase the combat ability of Azov, but most importantly, contribute to the preservation of the lives and the health of personnel,” the statement said.

Up until the State Department’s decision, Azov was prohibited from sending fighters to Western military exercises or accessing weapons bought with American funds. Lifting the ban will likely bolster the brigade’s fighting capacity at a difficult time during the war against Russia’s invasion. Ukraine suffers from persistent ammunition and personnel shortages.

Years before Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Human Rights Watch raised concerns about Azov, writing that credible allegations of egregious abuses had been made against its fighters.

Moscow has repeatedly portrayed the Azov as a Nazi group and accused it of atrocities, but has publicly given little evidence of the allegations. In 2022, Russia’s top court officially designated Azov a terrorist group.

The brigade grew out of a group called the Azov Battalion, formed in 2014 as one of many volunteer regiments created to fight Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine. It quickly became a separate official unit under the Ministry of Internal Affairs and later a unit of the National Guard.

Since its first commander left in October 2014, the brigade says on its website, it has been “cleansing itself” of undesirable elements. It wasn’t possible to ascertain whether the brigade has accomplished that. It has, however, tried to recast its public image away from the controversy surrounding its ultranationalist origins to that of an effective and skillful fighting force, and has shunned connections with controversial figures.

Azov soldiers played a key part in the defense of Mariupol, holding out in a siege and low on ammunition for weeks at the southern port city’s steel mill, despite devastating attacks from Russian forces in 2022.

They are hailed as heroes in Ukraine, remembered for defense of the sprawling plant that became a symbol of Ukrainian tenacity in the war against Russia, and people take to the streets for weekly rallies calling for the release of hundreds of Azov POWs who remain in Russian captivity.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Last edited:

Khokhlol Hunter

I wish for a nuclear winter.
You know I find the whole nazi situation in ukra amusing. Because Hitler himself considered slavs as subhumans and eventually would have exterminated them like he tried with the kikes. It just goes to show how uneducated about their history these idiots are.

Mohinder

Rookie
It's not just the leadership or founders, it's all of Azov. Such a poorly kept secret they are desperate to keep for whatever reason. As if lack of support would be an issue for them. Only absolute retards aren't seeing this situation for what it is at this point.

Eric Blair

Drop acid, and then bombs. ✌️+❤️=🤯
You know I find the whole nazi situation in ukra amusing. Because Hitler himself considered slavs as subhumans and eventually would have exterminated them like he tried with the kikes. It just goes to show how uneducated about their history these idiots are.
Neo-Nazis are always ignorant of history. Also the ideology of fascists and white supremacy has changed to become inclusive. Now Slavs are white to most of them. I think it has to do this to survive , kinda like different Christians have united because their Church’s are in decline.

I think this is a good sign that Kyiv has cleaned up Azov enough for us to do this and i know from other stuff i’ve read that Kyiv has been doing this for a while, and most people who bring it up are doing it to delegitimize the Ukrainian cause, not because they care about Neo-Nazis.

Eric Blair

Drop acid, and then bombs. ✌️+❤️=🤯
why do you disagree with my post @Eric Blair ? you dont think its accurate? you truly believe we should keep sending out resources over to zelinsky?
I dont agree that it is just an excuse and that its bullshit. We’ve made alot promises and claimed alot of principles well we need to stick to it. I’m no for placating Putin. We make the mistake of doing that with people in the past and it usually bites us in the ass. We placated and appeased Putin for two decades. No more! If you the Ukrainians want to keep fighting we should help them. This is not bullshit this a clash of civilization happening in the cities and forests and fields of Ukraine and what happens there matters big time.

And yea why not send shit we have sitting around. We spend so god damn much on our military because we guard the international global market and other things so why not put it to use for a good cause.

Btw if we dont bring Ukraine, or what is left of it anyway, into the Western system after what they’ve sacrificed i will hate Biden, or whoever is president, for that. Just as I hate the first Bush for leaving Saddam in power in 1994 after encouraging Iraqis to rise up and saying we were fighting for human rights and freedom. That was proven to be bullshit by the keeping of Saddam in power.

Similar now in that if Biden’s talk is just talk and we abandon Ukraine after the war I will have the same disgust for him.

MATAMUERTOS

olen ystävällinen ihminen
well I think: blahdiblah and who the fuck cares. The USA has been sending weapons all over the planet and will continue to do so.

Back