World War 2: Aleutian Islands Campaign (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Had a book about the time the Russian hunters, merchants and priests were on the Aleutes.
They introduced slavery, alcohol and whatever at the natives there. Massacre on the otters, etc.
And the 'territory' shit afterwards wasn't helpful at all, I guess.
But, I don't know very much about this region. This book was the only source I read about this country's history.
Can't remember it's title, etc. Very interesting.
I like the alcohol part...

Reactions: McM

whiteboyopie

Forum Veteran
In the Battle of the Aleutian Islands (June 1942-August 1943) during World War II (1939-45), U.S. troops fought to remove Japanese garrisons established on a pair of U.S.-owned islands west of Alaska. In June 1942, Japan had seized the remote, sparsely inhabited islands of Attu and Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands. It was the only U.S. soil Japan would claim during the war in the Pacific. The maneuver was possibly designed to divert U.S. forces during Japan’s attack on Midway Island (June 4-7, 1942) in the central Pacific. It’s also possible the Japanese believed holding the two islands could prevent the U.S. from invading Japan via the Aleutians. Either way, the Japanese occupation was a blow to American morale. In May 1943, U.S. troops retook Attu and three months later reclaimed Kiska, and in the process gained experience that helped them prepare for the long “island-hopping” battles to come as World War II raged across the Pacific Ocean.

PBY-5A Catalina patrol plane flying past Segula Island (just east of Kiska), Aleutians, Summer 1942.

View attachment 243326

Three Lockheed A-29 Hudsons fly past Mount McKinley, Territory of Alaska, 1942

View attachment 243327

G3M bombers in flight in the Aleutian islands, 1942

View attachment 243328

A Jeep loaded with radio and telephone equipment being used as a forward command post for a US Army artillery division, Territory of Alaska, 1943

View attachment 243329

LCVP landing craft disembarking U.S. Marines during an amphibious assault

View attachment 243330

US Navy Lt Fred Hunter piloting an OS2U-3 Kingfisher of Cruiser Scouting Squadron 1 as it is catapulted off the cruiser USS Detroit in the Aleutians

View attachment 243331

US Navy Lt Steve Corneliussen piloting an OS2U-3 Kingfisher of Cruiser Scouting Squadron 1 with his observer, Petty Officer Paul Proffer, as they are catapulted off the cruiser USS Detroit in the Aleutians

View attachment 243332

Heavy cruiser USS Salt Lake City in action during Battle of the Komandorski Islands, 26 Mar 1943
View attachment 243336

USS Louisville steamed out of Kulak Bay, Adak, Aleutian Islands, bound for operations against Attu, 25th of April 1943

View attachment 243335
The machine gun turrets are still there at Dutch Harbor Ak.
Real big, long range " portable cannons, were placed on a 360° rail track. On each hill. Inside a well fortified cement bunker that overlooks each water inlet.

Back