WW1 ~ 100 Yrs (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
November 11, 2014 marked the 100th Anniversary of World War One.

I put together a few images of various WW1 battlegrounds as they look today and added images that were taken during the war, 1914-1918 ~ a sort of 'now and then' put together.

I've seen other images showing various locations during WW1 where the 'now and then' have been merged together. They're cool but I'm looking to take it from a different angle.

Set 1.

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-1-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-2-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-3-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-4-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-5-2014.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Thanks for the kudos, folks - I'm glad ya like :)

With WW2 and onwards (Vietnam, etc.) we have a good deal of colour pictures. With WW1 there are no colourized pictures other than ones that have been done digitally.

Something that has always made me wonder was how these battlefields looked to the boys who fought there: things went from lush green, treed landscapes to nothing but turned up mud and bodies in a matter of days.

Set 3.

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-11-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-12-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-13-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-14-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-15-2014.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Any war is gruesome for any that experience it. WW1 was particularly gruesome due to the sheer numbers of dead on all sides.

The men still alive in the trenches often describe seeing bodies, body parts and blood flowing through the mud. With only black and white photos it is hard to visualize what they witnessed.

These images that I put together don't really do anything to help visualize the carnage but they place the soldiers of the black and white world into the world of colour a century after their ordeal.

Set 4.

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-16-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-17-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-18-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-19-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-20-2014.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
None of these images are intended to be historically accurate - that would be almost impossible to do. The black and white photos images are superimposed on real battlegrounds as they appear today.

Most of the battleground scenes are of current day Verdun, Vimy Ridge, the Somme, Ypres, Passchendaele, etc. The images that I superimposed on the photos are not necessarily a reflection of that particular battle/battleground.

Note: Some images have been used twice.

Set 5.

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-21-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-22-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-23-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-24-2014.jpg

dh-ww1-collage-now-then-images-25-2014.jpg

PowerDrill

Recovering Lurker
Beautiful thread Deathhand, your threads are absolutely fantastic. Mad respect for the people that live and died in the Great War because of the conditions they had to fight through to make it through another day.

muaya007

Patrick
bjutifeul pictures i liked the german soldier giving a fire to the englich holding a sigaret the finaly have peace now great pictures

Back