Users who are viewing this thread

McM

ARSELING
At times German front officers used to order to pile up the remains of the shot-down aircraft (at best with the corpse of the pilot visible) and let a postcard photographer from the area produce nice souvenirs meant to be sent to the loved ones at home in the Kaiserreich.
These pics (originals/reprints on paper) are collectibles now.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
As early as 1912, designers at the British firm Vickers were experimenting with machine gun carrying aircraft. The first concrete result was the Vickers Experimental Fighting Biplane 1. This type of aircraft had the engine and propeller behind the pilot, facing backward, rather than at the front of the aircraft. This provided an optimal machine gun position, from which the gun could be fired directly forward without an obstructing propeller, and reloaded and cleared in flight.

Early experiments with synchronised machine guns had been carried out in several countries before the war. Franz Schneider, then working for Nieuport in France but later working for L.V.G. in Germany, patented a synchronisation gear on 15 July 1913. Early Russian gear was designed by a Lieutenant Poplavko: the Edwards brothers in England designed the first British example, and the Morane-Saulnier company were also working on the problem in 1914.

In July 1915 the Fokker E.I, the first aircraft to enter service with a "synchronisation gear" which enabled a machine gun to fire through the arc of the propeller without striking its blades, became operational. By late 1915 the Germans had achieved air superiority, rendering Allied access to the vital intelligence derived from continual aerial reconnaissance more dangerous to acquire. In particular the defencelessness of Allied reconnaissance types was exposed. The first German "ace" pilots, notably Max Immelmann, had begun their careers.

Fortunately for the Allies, two new British fighters that were a match for the Fokker, the two-seat F.E.2b and the single-seat D.H.2, were already in production. These were both pushers, and could fire forwards without gun synchronisation. The F.E.2b reached the front in September 1915, and the D.H.2 in the following February.

On the French front, the tiny Nieuport 11, a tractor biplane with a forward firing gun mounted on the top wing outside the arc of the propeller, also proved more than a match for the German fighter when it entered service in January 1916. With these new types the Allies re-established air superiority in time for the Battle of the Somme, and the "Fokker Scourge" was over.

Set 3.

DH - 15 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot.jpg

DH - 16 Dead Aviators of WW1 - Unknown Aviators.jpg

DH - 17 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot downed at Verdun.jpg

DH - 18 Dead Aviators of WW1 - Unknown.jpg

25. Georges Marie Ludovic Jules Guynemer - French Ace
Georges Marie Ludovic Jules Guynemer - France.jpg

German Fokker D.VII.jpg

WW1 Plane Weapons 3.jpg

WW1 Plane Weapons 4.jpg

WW1 Planes 6.jpg

WW1 Planes 4 - British Handley-Page bombers on a mission, Western Front, during World War I.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
At the start of WW1, eager, young pilots, many of whom were in their late teens and early twenties, were only given an average of seventeen hours of instruction (expanded to fifty hours later in the war), with as little as five hours of flying time in planes they would not fly in combat. Approximately 8,000 pilots died during training between 1914 and 1918. If they survived, they were sent to France to fight Germans who had better planes and better training.

Once stationed in France, pilots engaged in dogfights in machines made of canvas, wire, and wood. They had few instruments and would have to flip the engine off and on to slow down for landing. They flew without parachutes. Averaged together, this gave a pilot in the early part of the war a life expectancy of eleven days.

Over confidence was usually fatal, while self-doubt could give a pilot the edge he needed to stay alive. Eventually, the more flight and combat experience a pilot gained, the better his chances of survival.

Set 4.

DH - 22 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot.jpg

DH - 23 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot.jpg

DH - 20 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot 1916.jpg

DH - 21 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot.jpg

WW1 Plane Weapons 5.jpg

WW1 Plane Weapons 6.jpg

WW1 Planes 5 - French SPAD S.XVI two-seat biplane reconnaissance aircraft.jpg

WW1 Planes 8.jpg

WW1 Planes 12 - Downed Nieuport.jpg

WW1 Planes 13 - Downed Albatross.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
very nice thread, always find WW1 intriguing.

p.s. this guy died like a pimp, gotta love that warm suit he's wearing, i'd wear that today even...

View attachment 659530
The 1/2 fur pants might get you some eyes...lol.

----------------------------------------------------

The first of the famous aerial ‘dogfights’ were conducted by pilots shooting pistols at each other from their cockpits. That changed when in 1915 the Dutch engineer Anthony Fokker invented a machine gun which could fire directly through the spinning front propeller. During the ‘Fokker Scourge’, when only German planes were fitted with the guns, the life expectancy for an Allied pilot arriving at the front was measured in weeks.

* Again, to get a photos details just hover your mouse over it.

Set 5.

DH - WW1 Planes - Stereoscope 1.jpg

42. Canadian Ace ~ Billy Bishop.
William Avery ‘Billy’ Bishop - Canada.jpg

DH - 24 Dead Aviators of WW1 - German Pilot.jpg

DH - 25 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Pilot.jpg

DH - 25 Dead Aviators of WW1 - French Pilot 1918.jpg

DH - 26 Dead Aviators of WW1 - British Airmen.jpg

WW1 Plane Weapons 7.jpg

WW1 Plane Weapons 8.jpg

WW1 Planes 10 - British Sopwith Camel.jpg

51.One of Frank Hurley's 'photoshopped' photos. He used 3 different negatives to make up this scene.
WW1 Planes 11 - Frank Hurley.jpg

McM

ARSELING
..would have to flip the engine off and on to slow down for landing
Haha.. yes, that's the rotary engine. It had no throttle for the crude carburetor and had to run at full power all the time. Another drawback was that the whole mass of the cylinder block was turning led to a gyro effect. Means, changing the plane's direction in the air was not so easy on one side (opposite side of the direction of the motor rotation) the gyro effect had its 'own will'.

A question: The 'hover your mouse over the photo to get the details' is a feature I know from Flickr (where I search for old war postcards). Is it supposed to work on other sites as well? I'm asking because you mentioned it in your posts. I had no luck so far.

Last edited:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Haha.. yes, that's the rotary engine. It had no throttle for the crude carburetor and had to run at full power all the time. Another drawback was that the whole mass of the cylinder block was turning led to a gyro effect. Means, turning the plane's direction in the air was not so easy on one side (opposite side of the direction of the motor rotation) the gyro effect had its 'own will'.

A question: The 'hover your mouse over the photo to get the details' is a feature I know from Flickr (where I search for old war postcards). Is it supposed to work on other sites as well? I'm asking because you mentioned it in your posts. I had no luck so far.
They were beasts to fly...I'd rather break a horse (no, not a bull, fuck that shit, lol).

The hover thing will work on most sites, as far as I know, but many it doesn't. If who ever coded the page inserted the alt text tag then you'll see that by hovering, even if the image is hyperlinked. It might be browser dependent too...not sure. But a few sites I have open right now show nothing if I hover over an image on the page.

Reactions: McM

King-Rory

Yer can Bollocks M8
@DeathHand, great pics, thanks. I remember seeing a picture in a book a few years ago of an imprint in the ground caused by a Zeppelin crewman who'd made the choice of jumping to his death rather than burning. This thread prompted me to see if I could find it on the interweb.
He was actually the Commander of L31 and his name was Heinrich Mathy, his Zeppelin was hit by AA fire over London.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-08-at-10.49.15.png

Last edited:

ASU-85

Forum Veteran
@DeathHand, great pics, thanks. I remember seeing a picture in a book a few years ago of an imprint in the ground caused by a Zeppelin crewman who'd made the choice of jumping to his death rather than burning. This thread prompted me to see if I could find it on the interweb.
He was actually the Commander of L31 and his name was Heinrich Mathy, his Zeppelin was hit by AA fire over London.

View attachment 661805
Wow 😯.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out

View attachment 661805
Thanks, and that's a cool pic. I wonder how many deaths happened when zep crew/s or fighter pilots decided to bail instead of burn. Some carried a revolver for just that reason.

keymon231

Professional Beaver Inspector
That was when the parachute wasn't a standard issue. Most fighter pilots were not equipped with one, so if your plane caught fire you burn as your plane plunged. Not a pleasant way to go.

Werwolf

Fresh Meat
The First World War saw the use of air power in conflict on a large scale for the first time. Military aviation was still relatively new in 1914. Its uses were not yet clear, and the Royal Flying Corps – the air arm of the British Army – was very small in size. Despite this, once the war was underway, serving in the Royal Flying Corps – or RFC – was an attractive prospect for those living in the trenches on the Western Front.

The main role of military aircraft throughout the war was to undertake aerial reconnaissance in support of ground forces. Information about the enemy was invaluable. Needless to say, neither side wanted the other spying on them. As a result, aerial combat soon began when rival aircraft encountered each other. Initially, handheld firearms were used and some used bricks and stones to drop on enemy planes.

Fighter aircraft (or Scouts, as they were called then), fitted with machine guns, particularly synchronised dual machine guns , were soon developed. In July 1915, the deadly German Fokker Eindecker became operational. It allowed the Germans to dominate the air war by the end of that year. New German aircraft meant that the RFC suffered very heavy casualties in the early months of 1917 – particularly during what became known as ‘Bloody April’, when the British lost 245 aircraft, 211 aircrew killed or missing and 108 as prisoners of war. The German Air Services recorded the loss of 66 aircraft during the same period.

1. Hover your mouse over the images for details.
View attachment 657052

View attachment 657053

View attachment 657054

View attachment 657055

View attachment 657056

View attachment 657057

View attachment 657058

View attachment 657059

View attachment 657060

10. Rear gunner is even armed with a slew of potato mashers.
View attachment 657064
Never seen one with a scope on it

Back