WW1: Trenches, Death, Mayhem (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MrEz

Cynical Member
WWI is fascinating.

I agree. I'm also very fascinated of WWI. All those young men who were sent to their deaths. Some places had a life expectancy of 3 days. Thousands and thousands of soldiers killed every day. That war showed the true face of mankind and the destructive powers we were willing to inflict upon our brothers in the other trench. This was "the loss of innocence".

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
These photos are getting harder and harder to find since most that's available has already been posted. But here's a few that I don't think have been posted - they're new to me.

Set 57.

183. I titled the image as a British armored car but it might be a Canadian armored car.
brit-armored-car-knocked-out.jpg

184. The first image of war that I saw as a kid. I used to stare and stare it this and make up my own endings as to what happened to the British tank and the German soldiers attacking it.
drawing-germans-attacking-brit-tank.jpg

185. A German soldier stands over the body of a dead French soldier.
ww1-dead-french-soldier.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I'm off to Belgium next month to Ypres and I will be paying my respects to those fallen, but never forgotten at the Menin Gate.
I'll try and remember to take photos for you.
Sounds like an awesome trip, Rosie. I'd love to go there...or anywhere that was once the front but I'd be out in farmers fields and in forests with my metal detector and shovel. But would never make it through customs with anything I found.

-------------------------------------

Set 59.

collecting-the-dead.jpg

189. Austrian soldiers on the charge. c1914.
ww1-belgian-soldiers-charge-c1914.jpg

190. Dead French soldier rotting in trench.
ww1-dead-french-soldier2.jpg

191. German soldiers in their trench. The soldier in the forefront seems to expecting something as he grips his grendade in both hands, ready to pull the cord and toss it. That, or he's holding a shovel.
ww1-german-soldiers-in-trench.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Amazing thread. Thanks a lot. :tu:

Always loved/was fascinated by this one after seeing it in a book as a kid -

View attachment 66666
Ya, he's usually the first posted and most posted in these types of threads. Some soldiers would be stationed wherever on the front lines, they get relieved for some rest, then get sent back and find the same corpses lying in the same spots, like this one.

NightMare

My gift to you, a Nightmare of terror
Wow, it took me a while to go through this but I am now glad that I did. Thanks for this history lesson, I think it is one that should never be forgotten, or WWII for that matter. It is hummbling to see. It is also gut wrenching at the same time. So many dead, just so much death. I think all people of the world should see these images, then look down at the ground you stand on and think of the people who died to defend it. Personally I am mostly Native American and I have been shown by my grandmother the foot prints of my elders. That too is very humbling. I pray to them often and thank them for their sacrifice. If only these images could show the world that peace is always better than death.

rhiannonbrain

Fresh Meat
I'm off to Belgium next month to Ypres and I will be paying my respects to those fallen, but never forgotten at the Menin Gate.
I'll try and remember to take photos for you.
if you could get yourself over to the british war cemetery near trieste in italy, please lay a few poppies on the graves there for me. my great grandfather lies beneath one of the stones..and i look forward, with interest to seeing your wipers' pics. good on you.

Rosie

Oh dear.
Super Moderator
if you could get yourself over to the british war cemetery near trieste in italy, please lay a few poppies on the graves there for me. my great grandfather lies beneath one of the stones..and i look forward, with interest to seeing your wipers' pics. good on you.

Just got back from "Wipers".

The pictures will follow.

I went to the Menin Gate, I read the names on the wall.........

I laid my poppies here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne_Cot

Once again in silence, I read the words on the grave stones, The rows and rows of White headstones. Wall upon wall of the names of the missing and the dead.............
I felt a twinge as I recited the verse.........

"They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them."
– Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)

And then I read "The War to end all wars"....................

It was at that point I felt emotional.
Not of grief or sorrow, but anger, War and dead are still what we witness today, the only thing that's changed is the way it's conducted.

We haven't learnt, human life feels cheap and it's the politicians that have cheapened it, nobody has a conscience.

Anyway, I had a great day and I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how to get them off the bloody camera. x

snatch

Avidly prowling for spoil
that was truly impressive! thank you for taking the time and energy to post this righteous collection of photos-ive never seen many of these shots.

well struck old man-

Back