WWII Relics & Remains (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Awesome additions, tarek! Love the pic of the Russian soldier still wearing his helmet and with his mg beside him.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Regardless of the ethics mentioned before regarding these hunts, I'd be so intrigued to go out looking for these things myself. Just imagining finding the remains of a dead soldier from whatever war along with all his supplies which have since rusted and become one with the Earth and then imagining the atmosphere and what that soldier must of experienced before death is just so chilling. :5stars:
I feel the same way. If I had the funds I'd be in Russia, or Germany, or Belgium, etc. with a metal detector and a shovel. I couldn't dig something like this up and put a price tag on it if human remains were found with the relics. I'd probably stand there for an hour or so conjuring up images and sounds of the battle that occurred when the soldier died, and perhaps how he died. Then I'd go to work getting the right people to ID the soldier and get whatever (bones, personal items, ID tags, etc.) was found in the dig to any living family.

Ora

Well Known Member
Must take some balls for these guys to just go around digging up unexploded ordnance that's been rusting in the ground for an age. I would love to excavate battlefields, but the danger is enough to turn me off to it.

Calgacus

It's almost over.
Skull of a Japanese serviceman resting on coral. Photographed in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia, the site of a 1944 World War II battle where many Japanese ships were sunk by American forces. Thousands of sailors and aviators died, and soon after the war the site was declared a war grave. It is now also a popular tourist attraction for divers, who come to explore the remains of this sunken fleet.

jap skull.JPG

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
My grandfather(Italian immigrant) fought in this battle (Hurtgen forest). It was one of the longest single battles the U.S. has ever been involved in. He was shot and seriously wounded. For this he was awarded a purple heart. Looking at the U.S. ID bracelet makes me wonder if this soldier was a part of the 28th infantry as he was. It must have been a very cautious dig with all the ammo, grenades, ect. Thanks for the post, pics and links.
Good to hear that your grandfather managed to survive the hell at Hurtgen.

The man that owned the bracelet, John L. Page, was with Company A, 22nd Inf., 4th US Inf. Division. Page entered the Hurtgen battle as a Private First Class and became a Platoon leader towards the end of the battle.

He survived the war, earning a Bronze Star, and died in 2005 in the States. The man who found the bracelet was able to locate his widow and return the bracelet to her.

1. This is Page's bracelet as found in the wall-side of a foxhole.
ww2-john-l-page-us-army-bracelet-Hurtgen-Forest.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
More war relics and soldiers' remains that have been uncovered at various WW2 European battlefields.

Set 6.

1. Completely intact: a case of German stick grenades (potato mashers).
ww2-case-of-german-stick-grenades-France.jpg

2. German helmet at a dig site.
ww2-german-helmet-at-dig-site-France.jpg

3. Unbroken ID tag of a German soldier.
ww2-german-id-tag-France.jpg

4. Badge given to German Panzer assault crews. This one is probably pre-1943 as it does not have a number stamped on it showing the number of engagements that the Panzer crew made against the enemy. Badges like this, in good shape, fetch upwards of $2,000 (US) on the market.
ww2-german-panzer-crew-assault-badge.jpg

5. German helemt, ammo pouches and personal effects. And yes, those are condoms.
ww2-german-soldiers-equipment-France.jpg

6. Remains of a german soldier and his ID tag.
ww2-german-soldiers-remains-unearthed.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 7.

1. Water being pumped out of a dig site.
ww2-pumping-water-out-excavation-site-France.jpg

2. Remains of a soldier.
ww2-remains-of-soldier.jpg

3. Russian clothing, boots, socks, etc. A digger can be seen at the right, showing the water and muck these items were recovered from.
ww2-russian-boots-clothing-uncovered.jpg

4. Russian MG with magazines.
ww2-russian-mg-and-magazines-France.jpg

5. A Russian overcoat with rank pins on the lapel.
ww2-russian-overcoat-with-rank-pins-on-lapel.jpg

6. Same.
ww2-russian-overcoat-with-rank-pins-on-lapel2.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 8.

1. Another Russian MG (an SG42) and ammo magazines.
ww2-russian-sg43-and-magazines-France.jpg

2. After almost 70 years: Russian sock and boot/boot insulator.
ww2-russian-sock-boot-insulator.jpg

3. Remains of a Russian soldier being unearthed.
ww2-russian-soldier-remains-unearthed-Russia.jpg

4. Remains of a soldier.
ww2-soldier-being-unearthed.jpg

5. Skeletal remains of soldiers being excavated.
ww2-soldiers-being-unearthed-France.jpg

6. Skull, bone fragments and gas mask of a German soldier.
ww2-soldiers-remains-unearthed-Belgium.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 9.

1. Site were the remains of several Russian soldiers were found. Judging by the haphazard placement of bones, I'd guess that these guys took a direct mortar or artillery hit.
ww2-remains-of-several-russian-soldiers1.jpg

2. Same as above - cropped, showing bones and a Russian helmet.
ww2-remains-of-several-russian-soldiers2.jpg

3. Same.
ww2-remains-of-several-russian-soldiers3.jpg

4. Various German items.
ww2-german-pistol-id-tag-misc-items.jpg

5. Russian "Order of the Patriotic War" medal.
ww2-russian-order-of-the-patriotic-war-medal1.jpg

6. As the above would look brand new.
ww2-russian-order-of-the-patriotic-war-medal2.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 10.

1. A broken German stick grenade, paint and lettering on explosive head still intact.
ww2-broken-german-stick-grenade.jpg

2. Well preserved German MG42 and the remains of a rifle.
ww2-german-mg42-rifle-remnants.jpg

3. Russian helmet with 2 bullet holes.
ww2-russian-helmet-2-bullet-holes.jpg

4. Warped German ID tag.
ww2-warped-german-id-tag.jpg

5. Small pit yielding alot of ammo and what look like jars.
ww2-small-pit-ammo-and-jars.jpg

6. A small German battle map. These were often kept rolled up in a small metal cylinder for easy concealment.
ww2-small-german-battle-map.jpg

Back