Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Over the past several years there has been a renewed interest in Poland for exhuming the remains of German soldiers who were killed during their occupation of the country. Many of these soldiers were buried in local cemeteries in various cities/towns from 1939 - 1945 and once exhumed, documented and attempts made to Id them the remains are being transferred to Germany or to cemeteries that already contain the graves of many soldiers (both German and Polish), that are managed by the Polish War Graves Commission.

A number of locally known burial sites of German soldiers were destroyed or vandalized during the past few decades and some were only partially excavated.

This thread will contain a number of these individual excavations and the photos that were taken. Generally, there are no photos of weapons since the police have to be immediately notified by the excavations teams and are then taken away.

Set 1.

April 6, 2022, Brzeg Dolny, Poland:

The remains of three German WW2 Wehrmacht soldiers were exhumed so that they can be buried in the German WW2 war dead cemetery in the Czernica area. The soldiers died in 1945 and had been buried along a roadside. It's believed that they died in 1945 during Operation Brunhild, when the Germans tried to seize the Anorgana factory from the Soviets. These soldiers were not buried with their weapons but they certainly had alot of ammo buried with them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4. The German Death Head ring...
3b.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

5b.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

13. This is a German Wound badge, like the US Purple Heart.
10.jpg

14. This is a German soldier's dog tag. When one is killed in battle who ever is collecting them to bring back to their HQ to report a soldier's death breaks the tag in half, taking one half with them and leaving the other half with the body. Since this one, and another, were intact the deaths of these guys was probably not registered with the German authorities at the time.
11.jpg

11b.jpg

11c.jpg

12.jpg

12b.jpg

8b.jpg

Last edited:

Varmint Hunter

I'd go to hell just to shoot the Devil in the face
Can any of thaty ammo be salvaged?

The inside components most likely can. I've pulled powder out of old horrifically rusted and corroded combloc 7.62x54R ammo from Classic Arms bulk bringbacks in the early 2000s and reloaded the powder into .300 Win Mag and .308 cases for hog hunting. The powder, as long as they have not been compromised, still function good.

McM

ARSELING
At first I thought 'strange hand grenade' but it's a canteen (5th pic). :lol:
Has a black bakelite cup.
I was irritated by the brown color of the canteen's body; I knew only the metal version with grey felt around.
Did they produce a cheaper wooden version later? Interesting
(Light metals, etc. were restricted and meant only for weapon and plane production.)

Nice post. Reminds me of the same work the Ger/Rus organizations do in Russia.

Last edited:
At first I thought 'strange hand grenade' but it's a canteen (5th pic). :lol:
Has a black bakelite cup.
I was irritated by the brown color of the canteen's body; I knew only the metal version with grey felt around.
Did they produce a cheaper wooden version later? Interesting
(Light metals, etc. were restricted and meant only for weapon and plane production.)

Nice post. Reminds me of the same work the Ger/Rus organizations do in Russia.
Nice observation mom. The wooden canteens were mainly issued to Afrika Korps early on but also to troops stationed in italy,Greece, etc (tropical) I would seriously like a clearer photo of the belt buckle but I do believe it was waffen ss.🙁

SPHINCTERPUNCH

THE SPHINCTER PUNCHER!
Over the past several years there has been a renewed interest in Poland for exhuming the remains of German soldiers who were killed during their occupation of the country. Many of these soldiers were buried in local cemeteries in various cities/towns from 1939 - 1945 and once exhumed, documented and attempts made to Id them the remains are being transferred to Germany or to cemeteries that already contain the graves of many soldiers (both German and Polish), that are managed by the Polish War Graves Commission.

A number of locally known burial sites of German soldiers were destroyed or vandalized during the past few decades and some were only partially excavated.

This thread will contain a number of these individual excavations and the photos that were taken. Generally, there are no photos of weapons since the police have to be immediately notified by the excavations teams and are then taken away.

Set 1.

April 6, 2022, Brzeg Dolny, Poland:

The remains of three German WW2 Wehrmacht soldiers were exhumed so that they can be buried in the German WW2 war dead cemetery in the Czernica area. The soldiers died in 1945 and had been buried along a roadside. It's believed that they died in 1945 during Operation Brunhild, when the Germans tried to seize the Anorgana factory from the Soviets. These soldiers were not buried with their weapons but they certainly had alot of ammo buried with them.

View attachment 626488

View attachment 626489

View attachment 626490

4. The German Death Head ring...
View attachment 626491

View attachment 626492

View attachment 626493

View attachment 626494

View attachment 626495

View attachment 626496

View attachment 626497

View attachment 626499

13. This is a German Wound badge, like the US Purple Heart.
View attachment 626501

14. This is a German soldier's dog tag. When one is killed in battle who ever is collecting them to bring back to their HQ to report a soldier's death breaks the tag in half, taking one half with them and leaving the other half with the body. Since this one, and another, were intact the deaths of these guys was probably not registered with the German authorities at the time.
View attachment 626502

View attachment 626503

View attachment 626504

View attachment 626505

View attachment 626506

View attachment 626498
This is some Awesome Content Bro! Dunka!!! 🤘🏻🤟🤙...SP

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
August 25, 2021, Siekierczyn, Poland:

The remains of German soldiers, who died during the fighting with the Red Army during the "Battle of Lubań" in Feb-March 1945, were exhumed from their shallow graves on the grounds of the local church.

Set 2.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3. Wound Badge of one of the soldiers.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5. I've only seen one other exhumation case of a German soldier where he was buried with his glasses on.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7. Throughout these excavations, the durability of the boots issued to German soldiers is evident, while uniforms are almost always long gone (just buttons).
7.jpg

8.jpg

9. German whistle.
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12. Christian cross found with one of the soldiers.
12.jpg

Set 3.

Oct. 2014, Klessin, Brandenburg, Germany:

The remains of German soldiers who died in the Battle of the Seelow Heights, have been unearthed. The remains of the German soldiers were found buried in a Soviet trench close to Klessin and were likely buried in April 1945.

Almost a million soldiers of the Red Army under the command of Marshal Georgi Zhukov, attacked the position known as the Gates of Berlin. Defending the German position were110,000 soldiers of the 9th Army. Seelow Heights was where some of the most bitter fighting in the overall battle took place. Fighting began in the early hours of April 16 with a massive bombardment by thousands of artillery weapons. Some 12,000 German troops perished.

1. It appears that these guys were just dumped haphazardly into the trench when buried - or it was in the trench that they died...
1.jpg

2.jpg

3. A German StG-44 machine gun.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Set 4.

May 17, 2022, Rudzica, Poland:

Six German WW2 Wehrmacht soldiers were exhumed from their graves in an enclave beside a church in Rudzica, in the Siekierczyn area. It's believed that they died in Feb-March 1945 during "Battle of Lubań". The graves had been disturbed years back when the church was renovated. Two of the remains had dog tags.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7. Old map that showed the location of these burials.
7.jpg

Last edited:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 5

April 7, 2021, Sierczynek, Poland

Exhumation works, another of several in Sierczynek, this time in the district of Międzyrzecki, located near the intersection of local roads, the graves of three German soldiers who died on January 28-29, 1945, as the Russians fought to break the German defensive line at Trzcielska. With the remains were two unbroken dog tags.

The Soviet Army Spitz (11th Guards Armored Corps of Colonel Amazaspa Babajanian ) reached Trzciel on January 25, 1945. The defense of the city turned out to be so effective that the Russians set up a detachment to bypass Trzciel from the north. It was the 44th Gwardyjska Armored Brigade commanded by I. Gusakowski , which on January 28 attacked the isthmus between the Chłop and Wędromierz Lakes near Borowy Młyn.

The first attack was repulsed, but the next day the defense of the isthmus broke down and the Russians crossed the main defensive line of the Trzcielska position. On January 29, the cities of Pszczew and Trzciel were also occupied, and the Soviet troops, after regrouping, moved towards Międzyrzecki.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4. A possible shrapnel break.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 6.

Oct. 11. 2022, Kotliska, Jelenia Góra, Poland

Near rural buildings of the village of Kogutów, three graves of German soldiers who died during fighting between February and March 1945 were exhumed.

1.jpg

2. Not much left of this soldier.
2.jpg

3. A German General Assault Badge.
3.jpg

4. An odd position to be buried in.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8. Plastic bakelite canteen cap (cup).
8.jpg

9. The barrel of an MG42 rests on the remains of this soldier. It's possible that the 3 soldiers were an MG crew.
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Set 7.

Oct. 2022, Baborów Poland:

Mass grave containing 66 German soldiers buried in a local cemetery in an unmarked section under a concrete wall. The soldiers died in 1945 when the city was seized by the Red Army Workers' and Peasants' Army on March 29, 1945. At first the graves could not be located until an elderly man approached the archaeology team and pointed them to where they were.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4. German Iron Cross badge, probably a Class 2.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7. Wounded Badge.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9. Fatal injury to this skull.
9.jpg

10. Shattered bones.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13. Waffen SS Officers Collar Tabs (pips).
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16. Another fatal head injury.
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23. A Wounded Badge.
23.jpg

Nice observation mom. The wooden canteens were mainly issued to Afrika Korps early on but also to troops stationed in italy,Greece, etc (tropical) I would seriously like a clearer photo of the belt buckle but I do believe it was waffen ss.🙁
The wooden canteen threw me off too - I wasn't aware of them. In another post the excavation yielded only the plastic canteen cup so it's quite possible that that soldier also had one of these wooden ones, which in that case had deteriorated, leaving just the cup. Those are the only photos available - none of a few others clearly shows the buckle: they made not have brushed the clay off it yet.

This is some Awesome Content Bro! Dunka!!! 🤘🏻🤟🤙...SP
Thanks - glad folks enjoy them. This is something that I would love to do as a profession, that or just good old metal detecting (which I do) on some farmer's field in Russia or Poland.

Can any of thaty ammo be salvaged?
As others mentioned, it certainly can be. Most of this stuff often ends up on eBay or the black market when it's found by diggers that aren't there to recover soldiers' remains - just the relics. Once they empty the grave of valuables they may or may not contact local authorities about the skeletal remains. It is illegal to do digs like that but money talks...

Last edited:
The iron cross pictured is almost certainly the pin back 1 st class of the award as if it were 2nd class you see a tiny "tac weld" at the 12 o clock position of the frame where the loop.wouldve bee attached. Also of note is the different way the :dog tags" are found. The ones that are only halves more than likely were identified to their fies. The ones that are whole say these poor fellows are still on "vermisst list" to this day. Its heart breaking to think these poor heroes gave their all to try and save humanity and wound up dying lost and alone on foreign soil. At least now they're no longer nameless and will get some sort of recognition and appreciation of their sacrafice. Many thanks to you DEATH HAND for such an awesome thread with clear, concise photos.

Back