bizarre Dispute At Bar Leads To Murder (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Varmint Hunter

I'd go to hell just to shoot the Devil in the face
Reality street combat and defensive martial artists lile Marc "The Animal" MacYoung and Massad Ayoob always talk about the "monkey brain vs. lizard brain". The monkey brain is all about chest thumping and bravado and "winning", while the lizard brain is survival, rationalism, and pragmatism. In a lot of these fights-turned to stabbing and shooting videos, you can see that there were PLENTY of opportunities for the victims to calm things down and take an exit strategy where further escalation could have been prevented. But their 'monkey brains' just wanted to win that confrontation so bad that they could not see that the argument has reached new stages and the other side is getting ready to use lethal violence.

wiggins

Forum Veteran
Reality street combat and defensive martial artists lile Marc "The Animal" MacYoung and Massad Ayoob always talk about the "monkey brain vs. lizard brain". The monkey brain is all about chest thumping and bravado and "winning", while the lizard brain is survival, rationalism, and pragmatism. In a lot of these fights-turned to stabbing and shooting videos, you can see that there were PLENTY of opportunities for the victims to calm things down and take an exit strategy where further escalation could have been prevented. But their 'monkey brains' just wanted to win that confrontation so bad that they could not see that the argument has reached new stages and the other side is getting ready to use lethal violence.
Good points raised here.

I always thought the 'lizard brain' was the flight/fight component? Rationalism is the frontal lobe I think but we need Flatustube and Zerok to weigh in here and enlighten us.

I've never liked bars and pubs. I sensed early on the undercurrents of violence and aggression in pubs. I tend to stay away. I do understand the concept of talking ones self out of danger and seeking to calm things down. I've worked in mental health and drug rehabs for years and you need that skill to work in those fields as your clients do not have them...

Back