The Dresden Firestorm (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Max Dalton

Och aye the noo
Well every country in the second world lost civillians, maybe not usa so much but If only we knew who started the bloody war. . . .Ooops, my bad

PTSD Is My Life

The internal medal for the wars I still fight
Right? or worng? I am not saying or taking sides but please bear this in mind.....
The majority of the worlds living population has never seen war and their vision of it is as portrayed by Hollywood and the likes, sadly it isnt all good meets bad good wins over bad and comes home to flowers and kisses and settles back into farming or working in the corner store.

By the time the Second World War was beginning they where still finding and burying the of bodies from the first world war that where still being discovered by farmers in the fields as they plowed, in trees by kids and in bunkers by search parties that 20 years after the war could find at times more than a hundred corpses in a month....we all think of the Allied dead and the horrific numbers but we never think of the other side. The Germans and their allies lost as many as the "we" did.

It was strongly believed that the reason the Germans were up for another arse kicking session so quickly was this, the majority of Europe from Belgium through Holland, Italy and France had vast tracts of their towns and countryside obliterated by the First War, the Germans had all their town and cities intact, except for a few that had been bombed very lightly by the primitive aircraft/airships of the time.

As the end of WW2 appeared to be drawing to a close the fanaticism in Germany grew to suicidal proportions and the thinking (right or wrong) was that Germany was not going to be the only country not on its knees and rebuilding. Also there was a strong feeling that the German citizens would not do as they did 26-7 years earlier and welcome their soldiers back as unconquered heroes, they wanted them crawling back defeated, they didn't want the civilian population who had never lifted a rifle put scorn on the troops and still have the want to fight in their blood as they had after the somewhat gentlemanly agreement which allowed the German units to march back into their untouched towns and cities with rifles at the shoulder and cannon towed behind teams of horses.

In short the Allies (all of them) wanted the German civilians to taste the horror of war as Russia, Poland, Lithuania, Checkoslovakia.....Belgium, Holland, France and other countries outside of Europe had. They wanted them broken and in no financial state to fund another war in 20 years time like they had after 1918.

The only way to do this was to let the untouched areas of this highly aggressive nation who cared not for any other nations rights have a good taste of the horrors of war. Yes Dresden was terrible but was not the fate of the literally "countless" towns and villages (There where literally thousands of communities completelyy wiped off the face of the earth during the march towards Russia) throughout Eastern Europe that where destroyed, the civilians slaughtered as inferior races.....

Something had to be done, it was done, it worked, our parents never had to fight like our grandparents and great grandparents nad to and against the same foe. I may be a bit older than many on here but my Grandfather fought in WW2 and his father died in the early 1920's from wounds inflicted in WW1. (He was gassed at least twice twice near Ypres and was buried in a dugout for several days before he and the survivors where dug out, they had resorted to burying the dead in the earth floor of the bunker to keep the rats at bay.....

My Great Grandmother used to say "what did half the country die for? Was it not enough (her husband) was tortured and died coughing himself inside out and now we are expected to send our sons to war with a flower in their cap, a rousing song and a cheery wave". She lost a (at least) a brother and two maybe 3 cousins in WW1 her sister was widowed in 1916 and her sister also lost 2 sons in WW2, My Granddad made it back in (physically) one piece.....at the time the average wife on the street would have slit the throat of a German if they got a hold of one....we are judging after 65 years peace.....they went through 2 massive wars in 20 years!

It appears wrong now, but back then it seemed the only answer.

Westcountry Boy

This user was banned
Ultimately the Soviet, US and British chiefs of staff made the decision to bomb, British Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris went at it with gusto. Operation Thunderclap caused casualties estimated at 60,000 in an inferno shooting flames 15 metres (50ft) high, with temperatures of 1,000 centigrade, people melted into the asphalt, hundreds of people in underground bunkers asphyxiated. In 1992 he got a statue outside a church on The Strand in London which has a 24hr guard against vandalism. I guess war crimes really only count against you if you lose.
2219SYJ-0-1-0.jpg

A lump of melted metal to commemorate a man who melted people.

AnAryanBrother

Sectioned-88
the carpet bombing of Dresden was not needed the city posed no threat and WWII was almost over, a show of military might is all it was!

great photos to see..

Domino69

In the Prep Room
the photo that showed the prams in the air raid shelter was especially disturbing. What a horrible death these poor people had to suffer. RIP

Der Wolf

Long time dead but look forward the resurrection
This user was banned
This was one of the main war crimes of the Western Allies in World War II, in addition to the A bombs and the impromptu death sentences on the front.
In Dresden, incendiary bombs were deliberately used to kill more people and wreak havoc
Everything here exploded and caught fire, huge fires destroyed the streets that distracted the oxygen content of the air
So even those who sought refuge in anti aircraft bunkers also died, simply drowned, or fried and mummified alive because of the hot air or because the huge fires removed oxygen from the air.
Around 200,000 civilians died in the bombing, including the elderly and children alike
The city was not particularly protected by any military anti-aircraft weapons, as there were no military targets in the city, only civilians
To avoid epidemics, the corpses were piled up on the street and burned to ashes
So the bombing of Dresden was completely pointless and clearly a war crime from both Britain and the US.

Blackpi11

Rookie
History is written by the victors. May the innocent Aryan victims rest in peace. Israelis and their minions have blood on their hands.

Back