Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
As a kid, I loved anything military. One of my first drawings, when I was abt 6, was of a WW1 British Sopwith Camel. After that it was always Tiger tanks and Shermans (I built many, many models of them too) I never had any dreams though of being a war pilot or even a tanker - I wanted to be infantry: boots on the ground locked ' loaded.

Photos of a downed bomber's dead crew are very difficult to locate, regardless of the nationality. Throughout these photos we can visualize whether the crew survived or not. It might be a case that all were lost or perhaps that some were able to bail out in time. I think that in a number of cases, bodies had already been removed before the photographers showed up. Many folks will have seen any number of these photos before.

Stats & Info: RAF Bomber Command (various sources)

Most aircrew were aged between 19 and 25, although some were as young as 16, and at least one was in his sixties, with the average age being 21.

During WW2 a total of 364,514 operational sorties were flown and 8,325 aircraft lost in action. Bomber Command aircrews suffered a high casualty rate: out of a total of 125,000 aircrew, 57,205 were killed (a 46% death rate), a further 8,403 were wounded in action and 9,838 became prisoners of war. Therefore, a total of 75,446 airmen (60 percent of operational airmen) were killed, wounded or taken prisoner.

Aircrew had to become accustomed very quickly to the casualty rate suffered by RAF Bomber Command squadrons because fellow crews were lost or in aircrew language, "bought the farm", "got the chop" or "failed to return" (FTR), frequently.

Squadrons would normally be given the task of dispatching 12–25 aircraft on a night operation, and at least one of their crews would be expected to be lost every two night operations. Squadrons losing multiple crews on a single night was quite normal, and on several nights during World War II some squadrons lost five or six of their crews in a single night.

Aircrew adopted a fatalistic attitude, and it was "not the done thing" to discuss losses of friends or roommates, although they would half-jokingly ask each other "can I have your bicycle if you get the chop" or "can I have your eggs and bacon at breakfast if you don't get back tomorrow?" or "if you don't get back can I have those black shoes" and similar comments.

Set 1.

1. Most of the bombers seen in this thread are contained in this illustration.
0.jpg

1.jpg

3. This American B-17 was intentionally rammed by a German Messerschmitt, a tactic that the Germans began with the use of poorly trained, often young, German pilots who had barley enough ammo to fire continuously for 15 minutes.
2.jpg

4. The B-17 managed to return to base without loss of its crew.
2a.jpg

5. Illustration of the ramming.
2b.jpg

6. Some bomber formations were so tight that when one bomber unloaded it's payload, one or two of the bombs would hit another bomber below them.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

9. Dead USAF airman.
5a.jpg

6.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
USAF Stats & Info: For the USAAF, the number of bombers lost was around 12,000; total men lost was around 115,000 (these figures might be U.S. and British combined). If you flew 30 missions in a heavy bomber, you had a 30% chance of surviving without being killed wounded or captured. For 50 missions in a medium bomber, your chances went up to around 50%. For fighter pilots, it was around 75%.

It was not unusual for the heavy bombers to complete their operational sortie and return home with members of their crew dead or dying aboard the aircraft, or with the rear-gun turret blown off. In the very last months of the war, aircrew who had been shot down were sometimes unfortunate enough to land safely by parachute, only to be mobbed and beaten to death by enraged German civilians. Rare cases are recorded where local Nazi Party leaders actively incited lynchings or permitted captured aircrew to be murdered almost immediately after they landed.

Set 2.

11. American Consolidated B-24 Liberator bomber, also used by the Brits. A total of 18,482 were made during the war.
Consolidated B-24.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

14. Flax damage.
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

19. American B-17 bombers, one of them going down.
14.jpg

20. Dead German crew of a Heinkel bomber.
14b.jpg

McM

ARSELING
They built a special version of the Focke Wulf 190 A8 for close combat against the heavily armed allied formations. Called 'Sturmbock' (battering ram), it was armed with 20 and 30-mm cannons (~250 and 50 rounds) and had additional armour.
The ramming was meant as a last resort and should be performed in a way the pilot could still bail out. Kamikaze-like actions were planned but in general not accepted by the squadron leaders and the pilots. A few cases did happen though.

Foreskin Goblin

Meth connoisseur
As a kid, I loved anything military. One of my first drawings, when I was abt 6, was of a WW1 British Sopwith Camel. After that it was always Tiger tanks and Shermans (I built many, many models of them too) I never had any dreams though of being a war pilot or even a tanker - I wanted to be infantry: boots on the ground locked ' loaded.

Photos of a downed bomber's dead crew are very difficult to locate, regardless of the nationality. Throughout these photos we can visualize whether the crew survived or not. It might be a case that all were lost or perhaps that some were able to bail out in time. I think that in a number of cases, bodies had already been removed before the photographers showed up. Many folks will have seen any number of these photos before.

Most aircrew were aged between 19 and 25, although some were as young as 16, and at least one was in his sixties, with the average age being 21.

During WW2 a total of 364,514 operational sorties were flown and 8,325 aircraft lost in action. Bomber Command aircrews suffered a high casualty rate: out of a total of 125,000 aircrew, 57,205 were killed (a 46% death rate), a further 8,403 were wounded in action and 9,838 became prisoners of war. Therefore, a total of 75,446 airmen (60 percent of operational airmen) were killed, wounded or taken prisoner.

Aircrew had to become accustomed very quickly to the casualty rate suffered by RAF Bomber Command squadrons because fellow crews were lost or in aircrew language, "bought the farm", "got the chop" or "failed to return" (FTR), frequently.

Squadrons would normally be given the task of dispatching 12–25 aircraft on a night operation, and at least one of their crews would be expected to be lost every two night operations. Squadrons losing multiple crews on a single night was quite normal, and on several nights during World War II some squadrons lost five or six of their crews in a single night.

Aircrew adopted a fatalistic attitude, and it was "not the done thing" to discuss losses of friends or roommates, although they would half-jokingly ask each other "can I have your bicycle if you get the chop" or "can I have your eggs and bacon at breakfast if you don't get back tomorrow?" or "if you don't get back can I have those black shoes" and similar comments.

Set 1.

View attachment 638024

View attachment 638025

3. This American B-17 was intentionally rammed by a German Messerschmitt, a tactic that the Germans began with the use of poorly trained, often young, German pilots who had barley enough ammo to fire continuously for 15 minutes.
View attachment 638026

View attachment 638027

View attachment 638028

6. Some bomber formations were so tight that when one bomber unloaded it's payload, one or two of the bombs would hit another bomber below them.
View attachment 638029

View attachment 638030

View attachment 638031

9. Dead USAF airman.
View attachment 638032

View attachment 638033
yo holy fuck you just gave me amazing memories, my grandfather gave me a poster of those planes for my like 3rd birthday or smthn (he died when i was 5 so before then) and one other of WW1 airplanes, thanks for that memory spark lol. ive got to see if i still have that as we have moved a lot since then.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Bomber operations were extremely stressful and frequently perilous, with a random chance of death or horrific injury. Flying was physically and mentally demanding and constant concentration was needed for many hours at a time. Airmen had to not only fight the enemy, but also a hostile environment in which they might encounter many kinds of adverse weather. Occupational hazards such as lack of oxygen, frostbite and lower pressures at high altitude meant they needed equipment to keep them warm and breathing. These problems were increased by operating at night.

If an aircraft flying over land was critically damaged, aircrew would have to bail out. Parachutes were bulky and not completely reliable, escape hatches were small and had to be located in the dark, and the aircraft might be on fire and out of control. Men were sometimes injured or killed by striking parts of the aircraft after jumping. Only 25% of airmen safely exited Halifaxes and Stirlings, a mere 15% from Lancasters. Landings were often perilous. Survivors would try to evade capture as, if they were not killed by the SS, the Gestapo or angry civilians, they would become prisoners of war (POWs).

Set 3.

15.jpg

16.jpg

23. Bomber crews had to know their weak spots.
16a.jpg

24. Flak damage, which likely killed the nose gunner, didn't stop this one from returning to base.
17.jpg

25. A US B-17 Liberator that returned, minus its rear gun turret and gunner.
18.jpg

19.jpg

27. It's doubful that the tail gunner of this Avro Lancaster survived.
20.jpg

21.jpg

29. After a bombing run in the Pacific war, these two American Douglas A-20 Havoc medium bombers made it out but one was hit by flak and crashed into the sea right after this shot was taken, with the loss of it 3 crew.
22.jpg

30. Crash of a Lancaster.
23.jpg

Last edited:

Russy

Lurker
Nice pictures, not seen some of these - thanks for posting :tu: . #25 is a Fortress though, not a twin tailed B24 Liberator .

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 4.

31. A number of spots to bail out, but when a bomber is of fire, spiraling out of control, upside down, decompression, equipment flying around, or broken in half it's not as easy as it looks.
24.jpg

31. Tail gunner, side gunners and possibly the top and belly turret gunners lost in this frightening breakup.
25.jpg

26.jpg

26b.jpg

33. It's possible that this Flying Fortress made it back to base, although without its tail gunner.
27.jpg

34. US side gunners inside a B-24.
28.jpg

28b.jpg

29.jpg

37. A USAF bomber crewman.
29a.jpg

38. An Avro Lancaster heavy bomber (painting).
Handley-Page Halifax.jpg

Last edited:

Zargon the great

Well Known Member
Nothing is more heart pounding than watching actual arial footage from WW 2 especially strafing footage from camera mounted gunsights. Be they American, German, British, The Soviet Union, or Japan. Later German technology used rocket and jet fueled aircraft, but it was too little, too late. However, they did do a number on American Bombers. But ultimately It was a matter of logistics, we had more of everything.

no u

Rookie

Set 1.

View attachment 638024

View attachment 638025

View attachment 638026

View attachment 638027

View attachment 638028

View attachment 638029

View attachment 638030

View attachment 638031

9. Dead USAF airman.
View attachment 638032

View attachment 638033
These are all fascinating. Great collection and cool hobby. Good job!

markymark6373

Well Known Member
On picture 32, the dead soldier is a Wehrmacht Unteroffizier and not Luftwaffe aircrew, you can tell by the collar Litzen.
Maybe killed by the crash and discovered in the wreckage?

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
On picture 32, the dead soldier is a Wehrmacht Unteroffizier and not Luftwaffe aircrew, you can tell by the collar Litzen.
Maybe killed by the crash and discovered in the wreckage?
Good spotting that and thanks for the note. It's possible he was nearby or in the plane...no idea; original caption labelled him as a bomber crew.

------------------------------------------------

Set 5.

30.jpg

40. Two crew bail from this B-17 which appears to have lost it's two right engines and might be going down.
31.jpg

42. Dead Japanese bomber pilot, hoisted out of the ocean.
31b.jpg

43. Flak strike.
32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Heinkel He-111.jpg

McM

ARSELING
Seeing the wounded/dead in pic 45 I have to think that the cabins/interieur of these bombers weren't pressurized at all. The first B-17 models had even open windows for the two waist gunners. Later they got Plexi glass in these openings.
This means if you got shot or sliced at a height of i.e. 7 km/21000 ft your blood spills out at a much higher rate than on the ground. Difficult to treat.
One of the first big allied 4-mot bombers with compartments under pressure was the B-29 Superfortress so far I know.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Seeing the wounded/dead in pic 45 I have to think that the cabins/interieur of these bombers weren't pressurized at all. The first B-17 models had even open windows for the two waist gunners. Later they got Plexi glass in these openings.
This means if you got shot or sliced at a height of i.e. 7 km/21000 ft your blood spills out at a much higher rate than on the ground. Difficult to treat.
One of the first big allied 4-mot bombers with compartments under pressure was the B-29 Superfortress so far I know.
I'm not sure about that pic - I almost didn't use it because I thought it might actually be staged or guys training. Good points you've made :)

Reactions: McM

McM

ARSELING
I'm not sure about that pic - I almost didn't use it because I thought it might actually be staged or guys training. Good points you've made :)
It's an interesting picture nevertheless. It seems the unconscious man is put into a bag, not seen/known that before.
Perhaps they had these bags on board to keep the wounded warm and strapped in a safe place. But I really don't know.

Last edited:
Back