WWII Relics & Remains (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

msr

AHHHHH FUCK
Ok obviously it's dangerous working with live ammunition, (i apologise if this is a stupid question but I have no knowledge on weapons etc) if it's say underground or in water would they still go off in full blast by a tap or something. If so what must be done when live ammo is found like in this case and what I would think is unstable by now.
Call the local authorities, then they evacuate everything for a mile, put the boom objects in a special container, take them to a safe place then explode them with modern explosives. Or dump them into the ocean, in deep water.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Ok obviously it's dangerous working with live ammunition, (i apologise if this is a stupid question but I have no knowledge on weapons etc) if it's say underground or in water would they still go off in full blast by a tap or something. If so what must be done when live ammo is found like in this case and what I would think is unstable by now.
I think that most old munitions (artillery, mortar, grenades) whether found on the surface, underground, in muck or submersed in water will do nothing. But there are relics hunters who are missing a hand or both, a bottom jaw, an arm, etc., or are dead because they handled what they had dug up thinking the munition was too old to do anything.

Many war relic hunters don't know how these munitions actually work. In that photo that I posted and mentioned that the fuses had been removed from some of the grenades is a good example of this.

A standard hand grenade has a steel body (usually round'ish) that the fuse (a hollow metal tube) is screwed into. Part of the fuse sticks out of the top where a safety lever/striker handle is placed over it and held in place by a safety pin. Pulling the pin doesn't make the grenade explode. But pulling the pin and letting the striker handle disconnect from the grenade will (that is if it's not a dud).

The striker handle is connected to a striker/spring-striker that's just under the lever, inside the fuse. When the handle is removed the striker is released and drops down into the fuse causing a spark that ignites a segment of material that starts to burn (just like a wick). Within 5 or so seconds the burning material reaches the explosive material and boom.

With an old hand grenade, it's possible that it was dug up with the pin/and or the striker lever intact. So a relic hunter is excited and breaks away one or both - intentionally or by accident. Maybe it will explode - maybe not.

A slight tap or a something could potentially ignite a fuse and detonate a grenade.

Artillery/mortar munitions work in a similar fashion - except the fuse head requires direct impact with something that will release the striker, which doesn't have a time delay, and explodes as soon as it hits something when that striker makes it's spark and ignites the explosive material.

Most countries have a law that requires relic hunters (or anyone else) to leave these things alone and report them to the local police who can then call in the bomb squad. But many hunters don't. Worse is that some might unearth munitions and then simply cover them back up.

Lol, apologies for the lengthy Grenades 101 Class.

:waterpipe:

Mental Puppy

Tudinem Mortem
I think that most old munitions (artillery, mortar, grenades) whether found on the surface, underground, in muck or submersed in water will do nothing. But there are relics hunters who are missing a hand or both, a bottom jaw, an arm, etc., or are dead because they handled what they had dug up thinking the munition was too old to do anything.

Many war relic hunters don't know how these munitions actually work. In that photo that I posted and mentioned that the fuses had been removed from some of the grenades is a good example of this.

A standard hand grenade has a steel body (usually round'ish) that the fuse (a hollow metal tube) is screwed into. Part of the fuse sticks out of the top where a safety lever/striker handle is placed over it and held in place by a safety pin. Pulling the pin doesn't make the grenade explode. But pulling the pin and letting the striker handle disconnect from the grenade will (that is if it's not a dud).

The striker handle is connected to a striker/spring-striker that's just under the lever, inside the fuse. When the handle is removed the striker is released and drops down into the fuse causing a spark that ignites a segment of material that starts to burn (just like a wick). Within 5 or so seconds the burning material reaches the explosive material and boom.

With an old hand grenade, it's possible that it was dug up with the pin/and or the striker lever intact. So a relic hunter is excited and breaks away one or both - intentionally or by accident. Maybe it will explode - maybe not.

A slight tap or a something could potentially ignite a fuse and detonate a grenade.

Artillery/mortar munitions work in a similar fashion - except the fuse head requires direct impact with something that will release the striker, which doesn't have a time delay, and explodes as soon as it hits something when that striker makes it's spark and ignites the explosive material.

Most countries have a law that requires relic hunters (or anyone else) to leave these things alone and report them to the local police who can then call in the bomb squad. But many hunters don't. Worse is that some might unearth munitions and then simply cover them back up.

Lol, apologies for the lengthy Grenades 101 Class.

:waterpipe:

Cool Thanx for the reply DH, that is pretty interesting, it's a dangerous job with a huge payoff. They should actually sent guys for training on how to de activate the munitions or to have the precautions on site. It'll make it safer for civilians as well.

Back