I found some information on one of the German dogtags you posted DeathHand

Gebirgsjäger plate:

Plaque%20gebirgs.jpg

Plate excavation identity: What does the following marks:
"ST.KP.N.2706 A. and GEB.JAG.ERS.RGT.139"

This plate clearly belongs to the 139 Regiment who Gebirgsjäger
Narvik has participated in the battles in 1940 and Finland, Ukraine, Hungary,
Slovakia towards the end of the war.
Sorry but I do not know the meaning of the letters of the beginning.
Best Regards
Mathieu

Reply complement to the nameplate all Gebirsjager

Unit Company of Staff of the 139th Regiment Reserve
Hunter "Alpine".
Unique Number: 2706 and RH: A
Gerard S

3rd Mountain Division (Wehrmacht)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Gebirgs-Division
(English: 3rd Mountain Division)

Eduard Dietl – first commander of the 3rd Mountain Division
Active Raised April 1, 1938, Surrendered 1945
Country Nazi Germany
Branch Heer
Type Mountain Division
Part of Created as 3. Gebirgs-Divisionin 1940.
Garrison/HQ Graz
Commanders
Notable
commanders
Generaloberst Eduard Dietl
General der Gebirgstruppen Julius Ringel
The 3rd Mountain Division (German: 3 Gebirgs-Division) was a formation of the German Wehrmacht during World War II. It was created from the Austrian Army's 5th and 7th Divisions following the Anschluss in 1938.

History[edit]
The division took part in the Invasion of Poland 1939 as part of Army Group South, but was transferred to garrison the West Wall before the end of the campaign. In 1940 it joined the invasion of Norway, most famously sending its 139th Mountain Regiment under General Eduard Dietl to seize the ice-free Arctic port of Narvik. The Allies briefly managed to take the town back, but abandoned it to the Germans after the invasion of France.

In 1941 the division moved into Lapland to participate in Operation Silberfuchs, the attack on the Soviet Arctic as part ofOperation Barbarossa, but failed to capture Murmansk. The division was withdrawn to Germany for rehabilitation at the end of the year, but left its 139th Mountain Infantry Regiment behind to operate independently. After rehabilitation, the division returned to Norway in 1942, where it served as a reserve. It was then transferred to the Eastern Front, where it served as a reserve for Army Group North near Leningrad. In November 1942 it was committed to the front where the Soviets had surrounded Velikiye Luki, and then transferred to the far south to help in the attempt to relieve Stalingrad. It fought the remainder of the war in the south, retreating with the front lines through the Ukraine, Hungary, Slovakia, and finally surrendering to the Soviets in Silesia at the end of the war.

Austrian-born German snipers Sepp Allerberger and Matthäus Hetzenauer served in the Eastern Front as part of the division.

Last edited:

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I found some information on one of the German dogtags you posted DeathHand

Gebirgsjäger plate:

Plaque%20gebirgs.jpg

Plate excavation identity: What does the following marks:
"ST.KP.N.2706 A. and GEB.JAG.ERS.RGT.139"

This plate clearly belongs to the 139 Regiment who Gebirgsjäger
Narvik has participated in the battles in 1940 and Finland, Ukraine, Hungary,
Slovakia towards the end of the war.
Sorry but I do not know the meaning of the letters of the beginning.
Best Regards
Mathieu
Awesome, Funkleburger. Hopefully the hunters who found it turned it in.

:)

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Along with recovery teams and hunters finding items such as weapons, ammo, equipment, belt buckles, helmets, personal effects, coins, buttons, human remains, etc. there is another side to the Relics of WW2.

This other side involves much larger relics that are often difficult to find once nature moves in to reclaim the land. These relics are scattered throughout Europe, some are sitting in the bushes just off to the sides of roads or in a treed area behind a farm. Some are right out in the open on beaches and cliffs that look out onto the Atlantic Ocean.

During World War II the Germans built thousands of concrete bunkers/fortifications that are often found by someone accidentally stumbling upon them in a forest.

WW2 German Bunkers ~ Set 1.

german-bunker1-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker2-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker3-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker4-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker6-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Many of these bunkers were found years ago and have been explored and vandalized over and over. Any items such as weaponry, equipment, ammo, documents, etc. has long since been pilfered.

WW2 German Bunkers ~ Set 2.

german-bunker7-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker8-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker9-Val-d'Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker10- Mery-sur-Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker11- Mery-sur-Oise-France.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Some of these German bunkers are simple structures involving a command post, solderis quarters and perhaps a gunner pill box or two.

Other bunkers are large fortifications that were built deep underground with winding passages, numerous rooms, ventilation systems, generators, etc.

WW2 German Bunkers ~ Set 3.

german-bunker11- Mery-sur-Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker12- Mery-sur-Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker13- Mery-sur-Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker14- Mery-sur-Oise-France.jpg

german-bunker15--France.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
These German bunkers were well constructed and almost always built at a point of strategic defensive advantage. Some were built in the open to help defend supply roots or shipping areas.

WW2 German Bunkers ~ Set 4.

german-bunker16-France.jpg

german-bunker17-France.jpg

german-bunker18-France.jpg

german-bunker19-France.jpg

german-bunker20-France.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Some bunkers were built to house supplies and troops. Others were built to withstand naval gun assaults - often in a 2 or 3 tier system that protected the entire structure.

The German bunkers weren't easy to take out.

WW2 German Bunkers ~ Set 5.

german-bunker21-France.jpg

german-bunker22-France.jpg

german-bunker23-Pointe-du-Hoc-France.jpg

german-bunker24-France.jpg

german-bunker25-Hurtgen.jpg

Krazy 8

Fresh Meat

da3ley

Rookie
With the huge numbers of dead during WW1 and WW2, these relic-hunter guys have only touched the tip of the iceburg. There are hundreds of thousands of soldiers still somewhere under the dirt in forests, swamps and beaches.

Another few hundred thousand or so will never be found because many were blown to tiny pieces or evaporated into a rain of blood.

I`d love to head to several places (France, Germany, Belgium, Russia, the Pacific islands, etc.) and scour the land: many of the dead are there, they just have to be found.

There is alot of money to be had for those that find a war site and just leave the bones - selling helmets, coins, ammo, daggers, weapons, papers, personal affects, etc. But I hate it when I see someone selling a dog tag-ID tag. Usually I see people selling German tags and if they could part with it and turn it in to the German authorities then perhaps one more 20 or 21 yr old could be listed as KIA instead of MIA.
i hope this doesn't seem asinine, but is it ok if i save some of these rare pics of yours and download them? to your credit obviously..a true rarity and the clarity is amazing...

Back