WWII Relics & Remains (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Been ages since I've posted in this thread. So here's some more new cool stuff.

This new set is of items found at the same site somewhere in Russia and are all Russian items.

Set 22.

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-1-Russia.jpg

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-2-Russia.jpg

3. Hungry?
ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-3-Russia.jpg

4. Awesome, old canned oatmeal...
ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-4-Russia.jpg

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-5-Russia.jpg

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-6-Russia.jpg

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-7-Russia.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
i hope this doesn't seem asinine, but is it ok if i save some of these rare pics of yours and download them? to your credit obviously..a true rarity and the clarity is amazing...
Sorry, I totally missed this post.

But yep you sure can. These aren't my own personal images so download what you want :)

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Relic hunters in Russia got a bit more than spent shell casings and old grenades on this dig.

The rubber soles of combat boots were hard to miss and were sticking out of the ground.

In total, the remains of 7 Soviet soldiers were unearthed in this dig.

Set 24.

1. At first glance, the hunters thought they had found the grave of one soldier.
ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-1-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

2. The general dig area.
ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-2-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-3-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

4. Soon it became obvious that there was more than one soldier buried here.
ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-4-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-5-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
As the dig went on it turned out to be the spot were 7 Soviet soldiers had been buried.

Judging but the hap-hazard layout of bones and boots they were either simply dumped, post mortem, into a pit or they were killed by direct artillery fire that resulted in the bodies being buried by the explosion. The latter would also explain why many of the bones appear broken or shattered along with no intact skulls.

Set 25.

ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-6-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-7-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-8-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

4. These 3 items are 'medallions' - the Soviet version of a dog tag. Inside these was a strip of paper containing a soldier's complete info.
ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-9-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

5. This is the contents of one of the above medallions after is had been unravelled and flattened.
ww2-relics-seven-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-10-Russia-mid-2013.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Those medallions kinda looks like it can withstand more punishment than a dog tag.

Good Post DH very interesting...
Yes, they were an interesting way for a soldier to have his ID info on his person in the event he was killed. Many of the earlier version the Soviets used were made out of wood and when dug up they basically just fall apart. The ones above were probably made of black bakelight, a kind of plastic material.

One problem with them though is that there is only one. So if a guy gets dismembered in an explosion the medallion could land anywhere. Atleast with US GI's they had two tags and could put one in their boot (like in Vietnam) and keep the other around their neck in case they were blown apart.

If I had been a German soldier I would have snapped my ID disk and done like the US soldiers. Who knows, maybe some did.

Mental Puppy

Tudinem Mortem
Yes, they were an interesting way for a soldier to have his ID info on his person in the event he was killed. Many of the earlier version the Soviets used were made out of wood and when dug up they basically just fall apart. The ones above appear to be some sort of plastic material.

One problem with them though is that there is only one. So if a guy gets dismembered in an explosion the medallion could land anywhere. Atleast with US GI's they had two tags and could put one in their boot (like in Vietnam) and keep the other around their neck in case they were blown apart.

If I had been a German soldier I would have snapped my ID disk and done like the US soldiers. Who knows, maybe some did.
Yes, they were an interesting way for a soldier to have his ID info on his person in the event he was killed. Many of the earlier version the Soviets used were made out of wood and when dug up they basically just fall apart. The ones above appear to be some sort of plastic material.

Ok cool Thanx for the info DH, I actually thought they were a metal cylinder but didn't think of the dismemberment possibility.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Another problem with the medallions is that if they crack or if the lid isn't tightly sealed then moisture gets in and rots the soldiers' small rolled up ID info paper. But the Soviets did also use metal 'dog tag' style disks.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 27.

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-17-Russia.jpg

2. Remains of German binoculars, found in the wodden box below.
ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-18-Russia.jpg

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-19-Russia.jpg

4. Rare to find a WW2 rifle with most of the wood intact (and the magazine).
ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-20-Russia.jpg

ww2-relics-misc-russian-and-german-digs-21-Russia.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Again, as with many digs, more than helmets and bullets turn up.

In this case, relic hunters found the skeletal remains of six WW2 Soviets soldiers along with the remnants of their gear, equipment, personal effects and what was left of their weapons.

Yamburg area, Russia, early-mid 2013

Set 1.

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-1-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-2-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-3-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-4-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-5-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 2.

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-6-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

2. Russian gas masks, ammo, etc.
ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-7-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-8-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-9-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

5. It appears that the diggers removed the firing mechanisms from the frag "pineapple grenades - dangerous.
ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-10-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 4.

1. Coins - love'em.
ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-15-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

2. Soviet ID medallions for each of the soldiers.
ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-16-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

3. What I don't like: opening a medallion in the field instead of under a controlled environment.
ww2-relics-six-soviet-soldiers-unearthed-17-Yamburg-area-RU-mid-2013.jpg

Mental Puppy

Tudinem Mortem
Ok obviously it's dangerous working with live ammunition, (i apologise if this is a stupid question but I have no knowledge on weapons etc) if it's say underground or in water would they still go off in full blast by a tap or something. If so what must be done when live ammo is found like in this case and what I would think is unstable by now.

Back