Vietnam war in pictures (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Many awesome pics posted by Morty. I have gone through my own collection and none of these should be reposts for this thread. There are probably other threads containing some of the same images but it's impossible to search them all out and try not to duplicate. Hopefully some are new to folks, but I am sure some will be old to others.

The filename of each image contains info such as date, place, who, etc.

Set 1.

vietnam-3-dead-nva-soldiers-Tan-Son-Nhut-Airbase-may7-1968.jpg

vietnam-3-dead-vc-soldiers-nva-soldier-urges-civilians-to-keep-moving-may1986.jpg

vietnam-173rd-under-fire-with-casualties-Hill-823.jpg

vietnam-alledged-non-combatant-pow-wont-talk-thrown-from-us-helicopter-1969.jpg

vietnam-bomb-blast-dead-us-and-vietnamese-Saigon-mar30-1965.jpg

Victim13

victim13
I don't know why but I've seen all the Nazi death camp footage and so on and so forth but for some reason this just seems to have been such a pointless and sophomoric act of violence. Its images just act as a reminder for me about how pathetic the whole incident was. The soldiers involved were obviously driven insane by the war at the time (not that that excuses them). Viet Nam was just a big bloody mistake from the word go. There were some enduring images such as the burning monk and the young girl napalm victim running down the road. The images from My-Lai are just sad and forgettable.

StudioFire

Captivating, indeed.
War changes people. That's why they end up doing horrific things to innocent civilians. I'm not defending the war criminals, but it's important to understand that they were probably not bloodthirsty animals until they were thrust into combat.

Stall01

Collateral tonnage
All I can say is don't hate the player, hate the game. Nixon should had his ugly balls ripped off for being such an idiot, and all his successors for that matter...

Certain Death

Do As Thou Wilt
The pic that says My Lai headhunting expedition wasnt from My Lai.The soldiers were L.R.R.P you can tell from their weapons which were CAR-15 assault rifle.And in My Lai they were Regular grunts.The L.R.R.P were known to cut of the ears of the N.V.A/VC and wear them around their neck

Certain Death

Do As Thou Wilt
You should watch Winter Soldier,filmed in 1971 The one grunt was asked how he knew if they were peasent farmers or VC and he said if they ran they were V.C and if they stood still they were disciplined V.C.Im guessin thats where they got the line for Full Metal Jacket

stone baby

Banned
This user was banned
I know several vets from vietnam who saw combat...i've sat getting drunk with a few and listening to the stories as the booze loosened them. All i will say is what we know through media is shit and i keep the troops in the field now in my thoughts,,folks we now have another generation of kids who have seen some horrible shit and been mentally damaged by it . It breaks my fucking heart.

Victim13

victim13
I work with a guy who was in Nam for a year and he is one of the coolest guys around. I chat with him about the war and his experiences from time to time and unlike some vets he is very open about his experiences. He told me that when he got back he couldn't sleep on a bed he'd gotten so used to sleeping on the ground. He also talked about the female Viet Cong fighters. He said they were very tough and that "you just had to kill them". He also confirmed the "razor blade in the vagina" story, said it happened to someone he know; had to go to the medic and get it taken care of. As my friend often says "It was a trip, man". I can believe. He was unable to confirm stories about ear necklaces.

Another Nam vet I knew I met at college. Actually it was a fine arts school, which I guess makes it hard for me to call it a college, and which also makes it weird that I met this particular guy there. He was a strange fellow whose name I can't remember. He used to sit at this desk near the front entrance of the school. I'm not sure what he was supposed to be doing there but he kept a baseball there in case of "emergencies". What these "emergencies" might be I never found out or at least don't remember. Anyway, I went out with him to get high one day and he told me he was in Viet Nam. It just so happened I was in a history class and were studying the VN war about them. So I asked him some questions about it and, like my friend now, he was glad to talk to me about. This happened again a couple of times and things got weird. He began seeking me out to tell me stories about the war. And that is ALL he talked about. Shooting people in rice paddies at a distance on wagers with other soldiers and on and on. He was starting to really freak me out. All then suddenly he wasn't around any more. I felt bad. Maybe I triggered some psychotic break or something and they packed him off to mental hospital. But he was already a little off (baseball bat; remember?). I still felt like I might have pushed him over the edge, even if he was already dangling. He did these big paintings of religious scenes. I remember a crucifixion. Not bad. A little warped. Hey, when it comes to art warped is a plus, right?

Certain Death

Do As Thou Wilt
My Uncle(R.I.P) was twice wounded never sat with his back to the door I didnt notice this till my mom pointed it out.Picture Number 13 sums it all up.

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
War changes people.
YA THINK i only went through 15 years of nightmares and shit and was only in el-salvador ...
i always ask the noobs commming back from iraq and afgan if they pissed there pants yet lmfao .... if you've been mortered you'd know exactly what i'm talking about......

very open about his experiences...... yeah thats strange indeed it digs up to much shit ya want to forget....

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I have a cousin that served with the US Air Force in Nam. He was a bomber pilot. This pilot pulled 2 tours in Vietnam, 'palming and bombing the shit out of many known VC/NVA targets/hard targets.

Early 1971 and, along with 4 or 5 other bombers, they hit the air but were only given the details/coordinates of their mission within a dozen or so miles of the intended target. My cousin realized that the "target" was a soft target which meant that they were being sent to bomb a civilian village (no VC or NVA present/active/suspected).

He radioed back to let command know that he and his crew were refusing the mission (based on the knowledge of obtaining only civilian casualties) and he promptly turned his bomber around and returned to base. A second and third bomber also aborted the mission for the same reason. For his actions, my cousin was dishonorably discharged from the US military. He went on to become a Catholic priest in Mass., where he continues without regrets and a clear conscious.

A messy war either way.

Back