j4pzkfxq.jpg
j9jsjhdd.jpg
ltqrwusw.jpg
m2bezxav.jpg
pfow7j8r.jpg
rx6h9yr3.jpg
vrmouuhw.jpg

Manchurianhempsnakegod

Shh... my child no more tears, only dreams now.
This user was banned
Imagine running through the trenches walking thru muddy and craggy soil filled with barbwires and landmines while dodging bullets from rifles, Machine gun bullets , Tank bullets and artillery fires and to top that breathing thru mustard gas and chlorine gas

Manchurianhempsnakegod

Shh... my child no more tears, only dreams now.
This user was banned
u know what..they coined the modern warfare as wars after the WWII...technological yes

i say it was a modern warfare after Gustavus Adolphus's invention of modern warfare tactics
i mean modern world weaponry like tanks and machine guns

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
WHAT THE FUCK?

pfow7j8r-jpg.21305

Those are skin flaps, used to improve the healing process and provide new skin layers while keeping blood flowing to the wounded area.

"Traditionally, the edges of facial wounds were simply stitched together, but when scar tissue contracted faces were left twisted and disfigured.

Gillies did something different. He rebuilt faces using tissue from elsewhere in the body.

Today we think of breast implants and nose jobs, but plastic surgery had its birth in the wounded faces of veterans.

Dr Andrew Bamji, the Gillies archive curator, says: "He was prepared to try anything. He wouldn't give up."

Antibiotics had not yet been invented, meaning it was very hard to graft tissue from one part of the body to another because infection often developed.

But while treating Able Seaman Willie Vicarage, [Dr.] Gillies invented the “tubed pedicle”. This used a flap of skin from the chest or forehead and “swung” it into place over the face.

The flap remained attached but was stitched into a tube. This kept the original blood supply intact and dramatically reduced the infection rate.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Good thread, p4irs.

Although the various injuries that soldiers received during WW1 are no worse nor better than what soldiers from WWII, Vietnam, Iraq, etc. experienced I think that the draw to these images is that the medical profession and the Army seem to have put special interest in them. I think that we've only seen this on a large scale from the WW1 injured and then again a few scattered cases (mostly media and/or family driven) from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

More vintage injuries that WW1 soldiers encountered.

1. A Canadian soldier with mustard gas burns and other problems.
ww1-canadian-mustard-gar-injuries.jpg

2. Shrapnel is a wicked thing.
ww1-facial-injury1.jpg

ww1-facial-injury2.jpg

ww1-facial-injury3.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Remember, this surgery was taking place almost 100 years ago.

9A. Soldier with facial wound.
ww1-facial-injury6A.jpg

9B. Application of skin flaps that were taken from his chest.
ww1-facial-injury6B.jpg

9c. After the use of skin flaps.
ww1-facial-injury6C.jpg

Zayad

groovy chicken
Interesting thread, it's fascinating how inventive the doctors had to be to help the soldiers.

D

DECADENCE

Internet Warrior
Excellent post geez I like black and white photography. :tu::tu::tu:

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
90% OF THOSE LIMBS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CUT OFF TODAY AND ALL OF THE INJURIES WOULD BE FIXABLE IN TODAYS WORLD. SUCH BUTCHERY BACK THEN BUT THAT WAS THE BEST THEY COULD DO NOT TOO BAD CONCIDERING THE OTHER OUTCOME HUH.......

Max Dalton

Och aye the noo
Bloody tragic, I cant imagine what going through the rest of your life with injuries like that would be like, no doubt you would end up like a recluse

Back