Irene Schroeder Went to Electric Chair (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MysteryTraveler

Forum Veteran
Irene Schroeder (February 17, 1909 – February 23, 1931) was a convicted murderer and became the first woman to be executed in Pennsylvania. Married at 15 to Homer Shrader, she and Homer had a son, Donnie. While working as a waitress in Wheeling WV. Irene met Glenn Dague and began an adulterous and murderous relationship that would end by both of them going to the electric chair.

After leaving her husband for Dague, Irene changed her last name to Schroeder and formed a gang with Dague and older brother, Tom Crawford. The three performed a series of successful robberies, car thefts, and a kidnapping. However, their luck ran out when they were stopped at a police road block. A shootout resulted in deputy Brady Paul being fatally shot. Following a long manhunt, Schroeder and Dague were apprehended in Arizona. Tom Crawford had gone out on his own and was killed in a robbery attempt.

The couple was tried and Dague and Schroeder were each sentenced to die by electrocution. She told her son, "I am going to die, but I am not afraid. Be a good boy and don't be afraid." The boy said his mom would make a beautiful angel.

Early on the morning of February 23, 1931, a stoic Irene was led from her cell to the death chamber, accompanied by Dague's former Sunday School pastor. She turned to the pastor and said, "Please stay with Glenn. He needs you more than I do now."

Wearing a gray dress with a white collar and beige stockings, Schroeder walked to the electric chair and seated herself. The blonde hair had been shaved from the top of her head to facilitate contact with the high voltage electrode. She had no last words and witnesses said she had the hint of a smile on her face. Her executioner, Robert Elliott, said she was the coldest person he had ever executed. In his execution diary, Elliott wrote the following:

"Before sending the lethal current on its journey of death, I glance at the chair to make sure no one is standing too near to it. Then I throw the switch. As I do, I often pray, ‘May God have mercy on your soul.’ The figure in the chair pitches forward, straining against the straps; there is the whining cry of the current and a crackling, sizzling sound. The body turns a vivid red. Sparks often shoot from the electrodes. A wisp of white or dull grey smoke may rise from the top of the head or the leg to which the electrode is attached; this is produced by the sponge lining, singed hair and, sometimes, burning flesh."

When Elliott threw the switch, 2,000 volts surged through the girl's body for two minutes, causing her to strain against the straps that restrained her in the chair. At 7:05 a.m., a doctor checked her for signs of life and declared her dead, only days after her 22nd birthday. Her body was removed and only moments later Dague was brought into the chamber. As he sat in the chair that had just shocked his lover to death, witnesses said the smoke and stench from her electrocution still hung in the air. He died like manner.

Here are some pictures of her.

Irene 1.jpg
Irene 2.jpg
Irene 3.jpg
Irene 4.jpg
Irene_cuffed-316x743.jpg
irene-schroeder-4.jpg
irene-schroeder-5.jpg
irene-schroeder-6.jpg
schroeder-verdict.jpg

Here is the electric chair she died in. Notice the large exhaust hood above the chair. An exhaust fan mounted in the top of the hood pulled air from the execution chamber during electrocutions so the smoke from the prisoner's burning body would not nauseate witnesses. It never worked perfectly, but it must have been intimidating to walk to the chair and seeing the apparatus you knew was there to remove the smoke of your burned corpse.
Irene_chair.jpg

Thanks for reading. Was she cute? Would you have been able to pull the switch and shock her to death? Let me know.

Hookah-smoking-catapillar

Feed your head🐛
Irene Schroeder (February 17, 1909 – February 23, 1931) was a convicted murderer and became the first woman to be executed in Pennsylvania. Married at 15 to Homer Shrader, she and Homer had a son, Donnie. While working as a waitress in Wheeling WV. Irene met Glenn Dague and began an adulterous and murderous relationship that would end by both of them going to the electric chair.

After leaving her husband for Dague, Irene changed her last name to Schroeder and formed a gang with Dague and older brother, Tom Crawford. The three performed a series of successful robberies, car thefts, and a kidnapping. However, their luck ran out when they were stopped at a police road block. A shootout resulted in deputy Brady Paul being fatally shot. Following a long manhunt, Schroeder and Dague were apprehended in Arizona. Tom Crawford had gone out on his own and was killed in a robbery attempt.

The couple was tried and Dague and Schroeder were each sentenced to die by electrocution. She told her son, "I am going to die, but I am not afraid. Be a good boy and don't be afraid." The boy said his mom would make a beautiful angel.

Early on the morning of February 23, 1931, a stoic Irene was led from her cell to the death chamber, accompanied by Dague's former Sunday School pastor. She turned to the pastor and said, "Please stay with Glenn. He needs you more than I do now."

Wearing a gray dress with a white collar and beige stockings, Schroeder walked to the electric chair and seated herself. The blonde hair had been shaved from the top of her head to facilitate contact with the high voltage electrode. She had no last words and witnesses said she had the hint of a smile on her face. Her executioner, Robert Elliott, said she was the coldest person he had ever executed. In his execution diary, Elliott wrote the following:

"Before sending the lethal current on its journey of death, I glance at the chair to make sure no one is standing too near to it. Then I throw the switch. As I do, I often pray, ‘May God have mercy on your soul.’ The figure in the chair pitches forward, straining against the straps; there is the whining cry of the current and a crackling, sizzling sound. The body turns a vivid red. Sparks often shoot from the electrodes. A wisp of white or dull grey smoke may rise from the top of the head or the leg to which the electrode is attached; this is produced by the sponge lining, singed hair and, sometimes, burning flesh."

When Elliott threw the switch, 2,000 volts surged through the girl's body for two minutes, causing her to strain against the straps that restrained her in the chair. At 7:05 a.m., a doctor checked her for signs of life and declared her dead, only days after her 22nd birthday. Her body was removed and only moments later Dague was brought into the chamber. As he sat in the chair that had just shocked his lover to death, witnesses said the smoke and stench from her electrocution still hung in the air. He died like manner.

View attachment 695620View attachment 695621View attachment 695622View attachment 695623View attachment 695624View attachment 695625View attachment 695626View attachment 695627View attachment 695628
Here is the electric chair she died in. Notice the large exhaust hood above the chair. An exhaust fan mounted in the top of the hood pulled air from the execution chamber during electrocutions so the smoke from the prisoner's burning body would not nauseate witnesses. It never worked perfectly, but it must have been intimidating to walk to the chair and seeing the apparatus you knew was there to remove the smoke of your burned corpse.
View attachment 695630

Thanks for reading. Was she cute? Would you have been able to pull the switch and shock her to death? Let me know.
Hwlell yeah burn the bitch

pappa stupid

Forum Veteran
she looks okay, but throwing the switch? not sure her crime is what i want to throw the switch over! Sure a cop was murdered but did she shoot him? I know that doesn't matter as far as sentencing. But i reserve my switch throwing for pedos and the more vile murderers! I enjoyed the read though

Qtek2020

Luv inside of the human body

View attachment 695620View attachment 695621View attachment 695622View attachment 695623View attachment 695624View attachment 695625View attachment 695626View attachment 695627View attachment 695628
View attachment 695630

Yes.

wiggins

Forum Veteran

View attachment 695630

I'm a lover not a switch puller...

I think she was cute and would be a rowdy party girl and hot in the sack too.

Dr. Johnny Fever

aka Bill Murray
I'm a lover not a switch puller.
I like love, but will be honest....I'd kind of like to know what it feels like to kill someone. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to kill an innocent...I'm not a lunatic. But if there's someone on death row, or I was in a fight for my life it would be interesting to experience to kill someone.

MysteryTraveler

Forum Veteran
Are you implying he was not?

I like love, but will be honest....I'd kind of like to know what it feels like to kill someone. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to kill an innocent...I'm not a lunatic. But if there's someone on death row, or I was in a fight for my life it would be interesting to experience to kill someone.
In my in-depth study of the death penalty, I have often wondered what executioners think before executing someone. Of course, the answers probably range from just doing a job to being the hand of justice to psychos who just like to kill people.

But what about the electric chair in particular? The prisoner is all strapped in and all that is left of for you to pull the switch. You know when you do you are unleashing something on that person that might be painless or might be pure hell--no one truly knows. I would think that has to be at least a little personal, especially when you smell them.

And what about women? Do some executioners maybe enjoy a slightly sadistic thrill to electrocute, hang, shoot, or gas a woman, especially of she is attractive? I'm not saying that's OK, just entertaining the likelihood. The executioner who executed Toni Jo Henry in the portable Louisiana electric chair said he didn't look forward to electrocuting a woman because it was a "nasty job," but he said he was not ashamed of it either. With over 576 females being executed in the USA since 1622, I'm sure their executioners had a wide range of emotions when performing those executions--some understandable, some we would probably disapprove of.

Albert Pierrepoint, hangman for UK who hanged more than 600 people, hanged more than 20 women. It didn't seem to bother him. But when he met one particular prisoner the day before her execution, he remembered dancing with her in a club during a night of brief romance. She remembered him, too. As soon as he hanged her, he asked his assistant to take care of her body because he was so affected he had to leave the prison immediately. Then, when he hanged Ruth Ellis, he became so obsessed with her that he frequently visited her grave and would not stop asking her sister questions about her (yes, really).

I would have no problem performing a judicial execution on a convicted inmate. Like you said these are (presumably) not innocent people who are being killed and I do love justice. .But I do question myself would I feel the smae if it were a woman.

Sorry for the long post, just some thoughts on the matter.

Back