Users who are viewing this thread

McM

ARSELING
Thanks. I wasn't sure what tank that was. Geez, Imma have to start putting you on a salary! :lulz:
Nah, not necessary. ;)
Other old fucks are playing crossword puzzles; I try to remember what I've read years ago to keep my memory intact. :lol:
For some things, I have to look for again, in this case, the name of the Christie system I didn't know anymore.
Thanks for these interesting pictures.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Set 23.

113. Disabled Sherman tanks.
112.jpg

114. Dead German tanker by his disabled Panzer IV, 1942.
113.jpg

115. Knocked out Tiger tanks in North Africa after the Battle of Sidi Rezegh (Operation Crusader), 1941.
114.jpg

116. Destroyed BT-5 tank.
115.jpg

117. Same ^.
116.jpg

118. A US bazooka team knocks out a German Panther tank in Normandy, 1944.
117.jpg

119. Knocked out Panther after Operation Citadel.
118.jpg

120. Disabled British Churchill tank on the beach of Dieppe.
119.jpg

121. A Canadian medic checks a Canadian soldier (unhurt) as a German Stug G-III burns. This was taken at the battle of the Falaise Pocket.
120.jpg

122. A Sherman tank after being hit.
121.jpg

macread

Well Known Member
There is a great tank museum in Bovington in Dorset with 300 + tanks including WW1 tanks and a German Tiger 11 which was knocking out British tanks with the British rounds just bouncing off the Tiger. I t was abandoned when a lucky hit jammed the turret and the crew crept away in the darkness.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
There is a great tank museum in Bovington in Dorset with 300 + tanks including WW1 tanks and a German Tiger 11 which was knocking out British tanks with the British rounds just bouncing off the Tiger. I t was abandoned when a lucky hit jammed the turret and the crew crept away in the darkness.
I've seen photos from that museum and would love to visit it - I love seeing these tanks in real life (although would never have gotten me in one as a tanker during either war, lol). Tigers definitely weren't a tank to hit with a round head on, although when the Russians came out with the T-34 the Germans in Tigers were awe struck to find their shells doing the same thing - bouncing right off them. They were quick to refit with bigger guns, whereas the Brits and Americans didn't quite catch on as quickly. The Germans did make one blunder with their Panzers: adding those escape hatches to the sides of the turrets which allowed even a Sherman to blow it's lid off.

macread

Well Known Member
I've seen photos from that museum and would love to visit it - I love seeing these tanks in real life (although would never have gotten me in one as a tanker during either war, lol). Tigers definitely weren't a tank to hit with a round head on, although when the Russians came out with the T-34 the Germans in Tigers were awe struck to find their shells doing the same thing - bouncing right off them. They were quick to refit with bigger guns, whereas the Brits and Americans didn't quite catch on as quickly. The Germans did make one blunder with their Panzers: adding those escape hatches to the sides of the turrets which allowed even a Sherman to blow it's lid off.
I worked on the challenger tanks over in Germany and also worked in Bovington the site that upgraded and reinforced most of the armoured vehicles (Bovington was where the first tanks were manufactured during ww1) I had been working there for months and my own site wanted me back up so one of the guys that tested them said i will get you out in a Challenger down the test route tomorrow morning before you head home. I was right excited about it but when I went in the next morning he said he has been called away so I was fucked and very disappointed

McM

ARSELING
Every now and then I visit the tank museum in Munster; they also have a nice small exhibition, focused on German stuff. Most exponents are from the army's collection who runs the museum partly. It's a few hours of travel by car away but it's worth the 'effort'.
The 'Chieftain' guy on YT did some of his tank videos there too.
I hope there's a 'Steel on the Heathland' open-air event again this summer, where the tanks drive through the field and mud a bit.

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Every now and then I visit the tank museum in Munster; they also have a nice small exhibition, focused on German stuff. Most exponents are from the army's collection who runs the museum partly. It's a few hours of travel by car away but it's worth the 'effort'.
The 'Chieftain' guy on YT did some of his tank videos there too.
I hope there's a 'Steel on the Heathland' open-air event again this summer, where the tanks drive through the field and mud a bit.
We've got no German tanks (that I know of) in Canada, which is too bad because they are my favorite tanks: aside from their engineering and power they were also very good looking tanks :).

Reactions: McM
Back