WW2: Misc. Images (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

McM

ARSELING
My hometown after the visit of some bombers.

German city.jpg

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
I think, it´s one from the british ´Churchill´ series.

That's what I thought - well the chassis but the body was wrong. Main thing that was throwing me off was the style of the tanks numbers. I went on a mega search, lol, and found it. The tank is a Russian T-28 Medium tank.

russian-t-28-medium-tank.jpg

ww2-german-heavy-tank-jpg.126878

:beer:

Reactions: McM
The T -28, was one the worst tanks, ever built....They were slow, very prone to track derailment and very lightly armored, especially in the rear.They had a short range canon and the list goes on and on.Great work, it is members like you, that keeps this site interesting ;).

Last edited:
Set 10.

1. A US soldier standing by the body of a dead German soldier.
View attachment 85253

2. Not sure if the American under the vehicle is alive or if he's part of the recovery team.
View attachment 85254

3. Bastogne, Belgium: several US tanker crews, that had to ditch their tanks, take up armed infantry positions. Dec. 20, 1944.
View attachment 85255

4. A wounded German officer is guarded by a British soldier in Egypt, Nov. 13, 1942.
View attachment 85256

Great thread, DH :).I am as HUGE !!!! , old school military buff ;). I, was fortunate, to recently purchase, an authentic, 1933 Area, Yasakunito sword.I am sure that you are familiar with WW2 Japanese swords.It was one, of 8,ooo, that were produced during that era.It was hand forged, by a duo of swords smiths, Miyaguchi Yasuhiro and Kajyama Yasutoku.......I will soon provide, greatly detailed photos....I think that, this would be, an awesome thread, of old war weapons and memorabilia.Please reply, with your thoughts.Rob T. N.Y., A.K.A BS13. ;)

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Was this type of burial a common occurrence? Seems like they showed a lot more respect for the dead back then then they do today.
Hi Caer,

Yes this was a very common thing to see on the battlefields during various stages of WW2. I think that in part it stems back to the practice of field graves during WW1. These field graves were initially meant to be temporary, until the dead could be exhumed and returned to their home country or interred at a later date in a more permanent cemetery located nearby. I don't think that very many, if any, of the deceased soldiers were ever returned home (like they are these days) but many did end up being transferred to permanent cemeteries that were created and dedicated to the fallen soldiers of various countries.

It occurred frequently in WW1 but also during WW2 and that was one warring side burying the bodies of their enemies that had been killed. The Germans, French, Canadians, Americans, etc. would often go so far as to create grave markers with names and dates if they could find them along with the standard weapon stuck into the ground and helmet adorning it (or adorning a makeshift wooden cross). Often soldiers honoured their own dead when burying them, but often they also honoured the men that they had killed whether it was one soldier or a tank crew.

I'm putting together another load of WW2 and WW1 photos to add and there'll be more images of these field graves.

Cheers :)

DeathHand

Let It All Bleed Out
Actually, he's not German, but U.S. Airborne. Those pants are U.S. Airborne issue, M43 if I'm not mistaken. Nevertheless, awesome photos!
My bad on that one! Yes, he is American. Thanks for pointing that one out - much appreciated :)

Gh0zt™

This user was banned
Set 9.

1. Dead Russian soldier.
View attachment 85249

2. Dead Russian soldier at the Rye, June 1941.
View attachment 85250

3. Dead German soldier beside Russian soldiers that overran German positions. Kursk, July 10, 1943.
View attachment 85251

4. A US deckman, trying to save a pilot, leaps up to US plane that had just crash landed on the carrier's deck.
View attachment 85252

Cool mosin nagant. Those were top of the line back then . 7.62.54R not much smaller than the .30-06 measuring in at 7.62x63 for comparison . just .09mm difference .

WWII pictures are cooo

Gh0zt™

This user was banned
I know it's not WWII but my neighbors grandfather was at the flag raising at Iwo Jima and has original photos of the flag raising and piles of dead gooks. Ill see if I cant get him to bust them out . Theyre verold old ( obv) and brittle and yellowed but he aught to let me get a couple pics with my phone .

Back