Connecticut Elementary School shooting (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dixon Vixen

FUCK OFF
I swear everybody that wants to turn and say that heaven is welcoming angels and I am praying. Is complete bs. In these times of school, movie, and mall shootings. Makes me just reconfirm my belief that there is NO GOD!!! If truly there was a god would innocent children be gunned down in the beginning of their life.

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
I'll repost my take on this, from another forum I frequent:

Mental healthcare reform would only be a partial solution to this problem. There's an idea floating around out there that under a "perfect" system of mental healthcare, all (or at least most) potentially dangerous mentally ill persons could be identified, properly treated and perhaps kept away from the rest of society. I'm afraid it's just not that straightforward. Should all citizens be subjected to mental health screenings, as well as potential incarceration if a psychologist thinks they might do something? Psychology is a notoriously inexact science. The potential for abuse, misdiagnoses and incompetence within such a system would be unbelievable. Those persons considered "weird" or "odd" by their peers would become victims of scrutiny. Even if citizens could be screened on a national level and reliably identified as antisocial, depressed or angry, as long as they follow the law they have every right to refuse treatment and do as they please, up to the point when they commit a crime of course. In addition, a fair few mentally ill people show few if any obvious signs, or are very good at hiding it.

Also, the stigma of being labeled a crazy person will always be a huge problem. People avoid seeking treatment and hide their symptoms not only because treatment is expensive, but also because society can and will discriminate against them for seeking help. No one wants their potential employer, girlfriend/boyfriend, or really anyone else to know that they're being treated for a mental illness or disorder of some kind.

I personally don't believe mental illness is the actual cause of these shootings, at least not in full. Time was, only genuinely mentally ill men snapped and went on killing sprees. I believe the disenfranchisement of young men in Western and especially in American society has quite a lot to do with this modern phenomenon. You can thank feminism for that, at least partially. It is a sick joke that men supposedly have it easy and hold all the privileges in our society. In truth, the majority of homeless people are men, the majority of suicides are men, men suffer the vast majority of society's total violence, male sexuality is demonized by feminized society, men perform the bulk of physically difficult and dangerous jobs, boys are underperforming in school and are graded lower by largely female teachers, fully 60% of college graduates are now female, men find it much more difficult to both seek and receive many different forms of support in society, and I hardly need mention that in marriage, divorce, child support, and other family court matters, women are overwhelmingly favored.

All of these issues and warning signs are ignored by society, so it's no wonder they don't even consider it as a possible reason more boys and men are snapping and lashing out at said society.

wino

DILLIGAF
really sad for the parents who have lost a child.

and it's prolly not right to blame the mental health system over there or ya silly gun laws for yet another massacre. but while you guys have enough small arms ( handguns, rifles and automatic weapons ) to shoot the moon so full of holes it will drop out of orbit this is gonna keep happening. Sad but it's too far gone over there what ya gonna do ?

thank fuck I was spat out here in Oz

Dixon Vixen

FUCK OFF
We just have to figure out a way to prevent this from happening again. Like I said before I will pay higher taxes for metal detectors or armed security guards to post up at my sons school. Someone should be armed at the school. If they were armed then there would have only been one person dead and that would have been the shooter.

wino

DILLIGAF
We just have to figure out a way to prevent this from happening again. Like I said before I will pay higher taxes for metal detectors or armed security guards to post up at my sons school. Someone should be armed at the school. If they were armed then there would have only been one person dead and that would have been the shooter.

sniper towers ? jk

gun control is far too much money over there for the people on the hill. who we both know are too far removed from everyday society to have to worry about their own siblings in the majority of situations like this.

Blaine

Expostulator
Oppressor
Administrator
That's just it, Dixon Vixen—there is no way to prevent these shootings. Gun control laws won't help; even an outright ban on private gun ownership would have only a marginal effect, and to achieve that we must betray the Bill of Rights. Besides, the U.S. isn't like Europe; thousands of private individuals in this country know how to create guns and bullets, and the Mexicans will be quite pleased to smuggle millions of guns across the border for illegal sale if they're ever outlawed. Criminals will have access to firearms one way or the other.

You can set up metal detectors, place guards around campuses, and arm teachers, if you like. That may work. Except there have already been a bunch of school shootings, we're already doing those sorts of things in many districts, and it's still not quite enough. People tend to find a way around routine security measures, and there are always obscure rural schools with tight funding that slip through the cracks in any case.

There's also no viable way to psychologically screen every person in the U.S. and then institutionalize them preemptively (that's currently illegal except in cases of extreme mental illness) because they might do something. Keep in mind that spree killers and mass murderers are extremely rare. How often do we have a school shooting? Once every year, including minor incidents and failed attempts? Talk about finding a needle in a haystack.

You can't control it. We have no choice but to live with it, same as we must live with highway fatalities and so on. It's the bed this country has made, and now we've got to lie down in it. Even if we could prevent these rampages somehow, it would require a nightmare totalitarian police state. Quite honestly, the lives of a dozen children per year aren't worth the trade-off.

b2ux

Banned
This user was banned
We just have to figure out a way to prevent this from happening again. Like I said before I will pay higher taxes for metal detectors or armed security guards to post up at my sons school.

still wont stop a determined criminal... the only thing is a few teachers to be armed and actually protect your kids instead of teaching them to be professional victims.......
face it, it happens and the only way to stop a shooter is to shoot him its not the cops job to protect you its yours and yours alone by the time the cops get there the damage is already done.........
stop playing the victim card and stand up for yourself be responsible for those around you ........

Airbornemama

Something Ironic...
This user was banned
I was thinking of you too when I wrote that, knowing you would be thinking the same thing. I am going to hug my 6 year old a little tighter tonight. My 14 year old too even if he doesn't like hugs from mom anymore
Awe.....Thanks love, and you know I adore hearing about you hugging your babies and the teen secretly loves getting hugs from Mom! He just has to stay cool and not let anyone know it!;)

Back